+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fields Question...

Fields Question...

Hello Flynax Team,

Regarding fields, is it possible to have for example the following scenario?:

Field as a drop down menu -> sub-level -> another sub-level

Ex: Kids Clothing -> Size -> Color

-> means opens up to cascading menus

If that is not possible, then could someone help me think of the best way to fix up my Fashion Listing type that will have men's, women's and kids clothing...I have similar clothing for men and women but kids are going to be different obviously, so if I can't create cascading drop down menus (multi-level menus) is there another way to do it with fields rather than with categories?
    Last edited by Brian Jester; September 24, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    Brian that is more than possible / to have them drop down after each other, you need to create a multi level, then on each level it needs to be built out, but that would be the wrong way to do it for your purposes as the workload would be need to be duplicated many many times.

In this case you need to build those as separate listing field options, not multi level and apply those listing fields to I am guessing a clothing category ? but given that if we ask for example does the listing field / category of children's clothing belong to any other parent category / other than clothing (as the parent) then the answer is no.

So in this case children's clothing would be a category and not a listing field, to take that further then if you ask if colour belongs to any other parent categories besides children's clothing, the answer is yes, it would apply to mens clothing, women's clothing and the list goes on, and the same would apply to sizes, so these would be listing fields placed under the parent categories.

Given that you site structure would look like this

(C) - Clothing
    ……...(C) - Children's Clothing
    ……………….(LF) - Size
    ……………...(LF) - Color
    ……...(C) - Men's Clothing
    ……………….(LF) - Size
    ……………...(LF) - Color

and so on.
    Last edited by Pete Young; September 24, 2019 at 11:20 PM.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Ok Pete,

So what your saying in your example is to add a children's clothing category to the (in my case fashion listing type) and add the fields accordingly, correct? That is what I was originally thinking, but fields are a new thing to me, so I would like to be sure. I am picking up on them quickly, which is a good thing. On the same subject, I would like to expand on the vehicles listing type by asking would using the category structure be the best way in your opinion to do the vehicles listing type? I am not sure that I understand the first part of your message above where you mention multi-level fields. The structure I was planning on was something like:

Cars - Certified Pre-Owned etc..
    Boats - Fishing Boats, Deck Boats etc...
    Motorcycles - Touring Bikes, Cruisers etc..

Update: To see if I am on the same page of thought as you...By multi-level fields, do you mean like (sorry for this example) but when you go to listing fields in the admin area, and if you choose drop down as the field type another drop down appears with data entries...Is that what you mean by multi-level? If so, that is what I am thinking...I just need to know how to create them like that.

Also, I am not saying that I want to avoid the category method as you suggested, it's likely the method I will use, but I would like to understand a bit more on how the multi-level works / how to create the multi-level layout.

[QUOTE=Pete Young;27358]Brian that is more than possible / to have them drop down after each other, you need to create a multi level, then on each level it needs to be built out, but that would be the wrong way to do it for your purposes as the workload would be need to be duplicated many many times.

In this case you need to build those as separate listing field options, not multi level and apply those listing fields to I am guessing a clothing category ? but given that if we ask for example does the listing field / category of children's clothing belong to any other parent category / other than clothing (as the parent) then the answer is no.

So in this case children's clothing would be a category and not a listing field, to take that further then if you ask if colour belongs to any other parent categories besides children's clothing, the answer is yes, it would apply to mens clothing, women's clothing and the list goes on, and the same would apply to sizes, so these would be listing fields placed under the parent categories.

Given that you site structure would look like this

(C) - Clothing
    Last edited by Brian Jester; September 26, 2019 at 12:21 AM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jester View Post
    Ok Pete,

So what your saying in your example is to add a children's clothing category to the (in my case fashion listing type) and add the fields accordingly, correct? That is what I was originally thinking, but fields are a new thing to me, so I would like to be sure. I am picking up on them quickly, which is a good thing. On the same subject, I would like to expand on the vehicles listing type by asking would using the category structure be the best way in your opinion to do the vehicles listing type? I am not sure that I understand the first part of your message above where you mention multi-level fields. The structure I was planning on was something like:
    nearly if you are adding that to a listing type / not a category then you would need to look at this setting option

(LT) - Fashion

--- (C) - Clothing
    ------ (SC) - Children's Clothing
    --------- (LF) - Color
    --------- (LF) - Clothing Size
    etc

--- (C) - Shoes
    ------ (SC) - Children's Shoes
    --------- (LF) - Color
    --------- (LF) - Shoe Size
    etc

/\ you would need to allow for different main categories under the heading of fashion per se and there would be 2 and or separate size list fields / as required. also there would be other ways to do this but you have the general idea. for example you could now have women's fashion, mens fashion children's and teen fashion ?

you will to design out a structure that works best for you, you could even create a lf for mens fashion women's fashion etc to bring that list type down real quick to what they were looking for. lots of ways to skin that cat, so draft it out on paper / look at other sites to see what they do, and you will get it right.

(LT) - Fashion

(LF) Childrens fashion
    (LF) Mens Fashion
    etc < these would match the sub categories below ./ say children's clothing etc and you would be able to select just all children's clothing, shoes etc in one hit

--- (C) - Clothing
    --------- (LF) - Color
    etc

--- (C) - Shoes
    --------- (LF) - Color
    etc

Cars - Certified Pre-Owned etc..
    Boats - Fishing Boats, Deck Boats etc...
    Motorcycles - Touring Bikes, Cruisers etc..
    Brian certified and pre owned would be Listing fields, the boats and or motorcycles would more than likely be categories.

Brian always apply this rule and you will get 99% of things right

First understand that you treat a category and a listing field as exactly the same thing, next

Ask this question > Does this Sub category belong to one or many parent categories ?

If you answer one, then it is highly likely that you need to create a Sub Category, if you answer Many then it is highly likely you would create a Listing Field, there are rare exceptions but mostly the above formula will guide you.

example > Certified Pre Owned ? would that apply to say Ford cars, dodge Cars, Jeeps ? the answer yes so it more than likely a Listing field, But if you asked if fishing boats would be applied to one or many parent categories the answer is no, so that would be created as a category.

Brian all of this is outlined in the guide, so best take some to read that and it may answer a lot of your questions.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Young; September 26, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Pete,

Thank you very much for your clear explanation, You truly are an expert in this area.

Thanks again, Pete!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    nearly if you are adding that to a listing type / not a category then you would need to look at this setting option

(LT) - Fashion

--- (C) - Clothing
    --------- (LF) - Color
    etc

--- (C) - Shoes
    --------- (LF) - Color
    etc

/\ you would need to allow for different main categories under the heading of fashion per se and there would be 2 and or separate size list fields / as required. also there would be other ways to do this but you have the general idea.

Brian certified and pre owned would be Listing fields, the boats and or motorcycles would more than likely be categories.

Brian always apply this rule and you will get 99% of things right

First understand that you treat a category and a listing field as exactly the same thing, next

Ask this question > Does this Sub category belong to one or many parent categories ?

If you answer one, then it is highly likely that you need to create a Sub Category, if you answer Many then it is highly likely you would create a Listing Field, there are rare exceptions but mostly the above formula will guide you.

example > Certified Pre Owned ? would that apply to say Ford cars, dodge Cars, Jeeps ? the answer yes so it more than likely a Listing field, But if you asked if fishing boats would be applied to one or many parent categories the answer is no, so that would be created as a category.

Brian all of this is outlined in the guide, so best take some to read that and it may answer a lot of your questions.

Pete
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Pete,

One more question on topic...To do the multi-level field drop down like on the header of https://carbuyersbroker.com/ where you select Make/Model drop down and then the drop down (next to it) subcategory changes based on the Make/Model drop down, is that a customization or can that be accomplished using the fields in flynax admin panel?

For example: On the post ad page for the Listing Type Vehicles I was thinking along these lines:

Car Type (Drop Down Field) -> Make/Model (Drop Down Field) -> Year (Date Field)

Is this a required customization or possible to do from Flynax without customization?
    Last edited by Brian Jester; September 26, 2019 at 01:13 AM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jester View Post
    Pete,

One more question on topic...To do the multi-level field drop down like on the header of https://carbuyersbroker.com/ where you select Make/Model drop down and then the drop down (next to it) subcategory changes based on the Make/Model drop down, is that a customization or can that be accomplished using the fields in flynax admin panel?

For example: On the post ad page for the Listing Type Vehicles I was thinking along these lines:

Car Type (Drop Down Field) -> Make/Model (Drop Down Field) -> Year (Date Field)

Is this a required customization or possible to do from Flynax without customization?
    Yes brian you can do that your self using a multi level (also see the guide)

< car type > then under that level < model > then under that < year >

But is that the best way ? probably not ? why because lets say you place model under car type then you will have to repeat model under every instance of car type and to take that further you would have to repeat year then under every model.

so given that and to save hours and hours of work, I would keep those 3 options at top level listing fields no multi levels

(LF) - Car Type - Sedan, hatch, ute etc
    (LF) - Ford, Chevy, etc
    (LF) - Year

The change then I would add a multi under the what you call model ? and I would make that top level more Brand then a multi level called model

So car type was independent along with year then a multilevel for Make and model

(MLF) Make - Ford , Cougar Mustang - Chevy, model1, model2 etc.

as the models themselves would only apply to the brand per se and a multi level would work for that, again look at your options and work around it as to what works best for you.

(LF) - Car Type - Sedan, hatch, ute etc
    (MLF) - Make / Model - Ford, Chevy, etc
    (LF) - Year
    Last edited by Pete Young; September 26, 2019 at 02:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread