+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Select Menu Fields...

Select Menu Fields...

Hi,

I would like to make a small adjustment to one of the customization's I had done awhile ago, it's the customization where i wanted placeholder text for the select menu in the drop down menus...This customization had to do with adding a placeholder menu in the admin area for the fields that were drop down menus and also text boxes. I know now that the code that adds a placeholder text for the select menus does not work, it's the field name that needed to be adjusted, so there was no need to add the placeholder value text box for the select menus (the placeholder text box for SELECT MENUS ONLY can be removed). Instead I would like to replace that with adding the disabled option for the select menu so that the Field Name for SELECT MENUS ONLY (NOT TEXT BOXES) are the 'disabled' option. I don't want you to disable the Field Name, I just want you to add the disabled option to all the Select Fields ONLY.

An example of that would be: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit...ption_disabled

Notice in the select menu, the word volvo is disabled. That is how I want the field names to appear in the Field select menus disabled and non-selectable, that is exactly how I would want it to appear.

Brian
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    why would you place a word in the dropdown if it can not be selected? that defies logic or am I missing something here?
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Agree with Pete. Why?

Hi Pete,

Update: Pete, to clarify, I only mean the Listing Field Name to be the one that get's the disabled option (in the select menus only), reason for the Listing Field Name, is because that is the text that shows by default in the select menus, so it would make sense in my opinion to have that text disabled in the select menu to show that it cannot be accidentally selected as an option.

I guess it just a matter of preference, but after gathering some information, I think it would be a lot easier to make that kind of change than to have a placeholder field (for select menus) that doesn't work. I didn't realize that, but I understand Flynax does EXACTLY as the customer says, and I remember that's EXACTLY what I wanted them to do, but I didn't realize that a placeholder text would not work inside of the select menu. I think the disabled option text on the other hand, actually serves as a placeholder (actually better than placeholder) because:

1. It cannot be mistakenly selected for an option.
    2. The color of the disabled text can be changed (shows that it's not an option, just reference text)

Side note: I don't really know the search engine 'friendliness' the disabled option text holds, but I think it (disabled option text inside select menus) could be big help in the sense of select menus in general so I am not too concerned of the search engine friendliness of the disabled option text.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    why would you place a word in the dropdown if it can not be selected? that defies logic or am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Brian Jester; February 21, 2021 at 02:49 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Why not disable it from the backend?

Where I have seen something similar is the following:

1. An Apartment is for Rent; so, it is shaded in the for sale dropdown.
    2. A business is for sale; so, it is shaded in the for rent dropdown
    3. There are no listings in a category; so, it is shaded in the dropdown

However, I am sure the Flynax software can achieve this somehow?
    Last edited by Joe Can; February 21, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

Guru
    Brain a listing field name does not go in with the listing field as a name, listing fields are named separate. You should not be adding the field names to the list of names. Somehow you seem to be overcomplicating the simple here?
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

I have figured this one out...I adjusted the field.tpl template to get it.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jester View Post
    Hi,

I would like to make a small adjustment to one of the customization's I had done awhile ago, it's the customization where i wanted placeholder text for the select menu in the drop down menus...This customization had to do with adding a placeholder menu in the admin area for the fields that were drop down menus and also text boxes. I know now that the code that adds a placeholder text for the select menus does not work, it's the field name that needed to be adjusted, so there was no need to add the placeholder value text box for the select menus (the placeholder text box for SELECT MENUS ONLY can be removed). Instead I would like to replace that with adding the disabled option for the select menu so that the Field Name for SELECT MENUS ONLY (NOT TEXT BOXES) are the 'disabled' option. I don't want you to disable the Field Name, I just want you to add the disabled option to all the Select Fields ONLY.

An example of that would be: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit...ption_disabled

Notice in the select menu, the word volvo is disabled. That is how I want the field names to appear in the Field select menus disabled and non-selectable, that is exactly how I would want it to appear.

Brian
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Pete,

I have found out how to do what I wanted. It was as simple as editing the field.tpl file to add the disabled option to the select menus on the post ad page.

See the screenshot I attached, shows admin panel listing fields, I highlighted the field name field simply because what I done was used that to achieve what I wanted.

No need to remove the old admin function as I described, it's probably more trouble then it's worth to do which I stated in the first post was to remove part of the original customization, the placeholder for the select menus. The text boxes are great, no problems there, it's just that adding a placeholder in the admin area for select boxes (drop downs) seemed great, and it is setup to do that, but I didn't know that if you added text into that placeholder text field for drop downs in the admin panel for listing fields, the placeholder text doesn't show. That's ok though, because for the drop downs, I have used the disabled option for select menus (field.tpl). So for example, the activity type field name will just say Activity Type for the name, and when viewed on the post ad page, the Activity Type text will be disabled, so it cannot be selected in the menu (that's how all select menus appear now). Hope that clarifies what I wanted to do.

Brian

Now to explain this better, i wanted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    Brain a listing field name does not go in with the listing field as a name, listing fields are named separate. You should not be adding the field names to the list of names. Somehow you seem to be overcomplicating the simple here?
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Sorry forgot the attachment:

Update: That field name: Activity Type is a disabled option in the post ad page for community -> activities category. Also, after editing the field.tpl file adding only the option disabled to the select menu, it works for all select menus that I want.

Update 2: It's working for Community, Fashion, Pets and any other categories (on the post ad page) I add a drop down menu field to.

This was actually worth adding because it seems if the user clicks the drop down, and you see activity type (for example) and it's selectable, like it was before this change, it's possible someone could submit the listing with Activity Type as the option, which is not good.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Jester; February 24, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread