+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Category Question

Hybrid View

Rudi,

What type of field did you use so that when someone clicks on the link, it would go to the correct subcategory page? Or did you put the link in manually?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    Brian, There is one other way you could swing this cat.

in your jobs listing type add two categories as you suggested / as you want this way you can make one paid and the other free.

LT > Employment
    Cat > Help Offered (free)
    Cat > Help Wanted (paid)
    Cat > Plus all other categories in employment

But then instead of building duplicate subcategories in those 2 categories, build one listing field for both categories help offered and help wanted and in the listing field would be the names of the sub cats that you want.

So instead of building categories underneath just use a listing field with the cat names in it.

If you want to see how that works go > here < and you will see you are in

LT > Lifestyle
    Cat >> Relationships

and you will see I have 4 subcategories listed

Sub Cats > Marriage
    > Relationships
    > Marriage Counsellors
    > Divorce

All of those 4 subcategories are not categories at all, they are listing field with those options and when people select them it filters to that selected filter, I have renamed everything to Sub Category so they look like subcategories.

With this, I can quickly add new subcategories very fast by just adding a new filter to the category.

I use this system right across my site with all subcategories, hope that might help you?

good luck with it all.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Rudi,

I am just tired, but I know exactly what you mean. Just create the two main cats, then use the category filter to show the subcategories in the sidebar, or where ever. That's what I have done, but I need to make the two main categories for Employment listing type, then all should be good to go.

Update: I think I am lost...But not too much. I have categories, you say you have 'categories' but as fields, not as normal categories. I have a category sidebar, which is what I am thinking you have done, but no, because in my case, I need actual categories to display the filter sidebar with categories. So my final question, how did you create the filed for categories to show like you did? Ex: What field type did you use?

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 2, 2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread