+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dealing with cities

Dealing with cities

The default install has a data entry for Countries, States/Regions, Cities which in many ways is exciting for what it provides with the dropdowns in heiarchy.
    It also means there will be less variations/typos in cities entered which is good. (otherwise, if entering manually users will abbreviate cities in different ways, with and without dot, or spelling out a word like ft. fort ft)

However, I'm wondering how I'll handle people from small towns which aren't in the list.

Unlike subcategories, they can't suggest something not in the list for a cities entry.
    Or is there a way to allow this?

How do people handle this?

1.) Use country/state/city data entry and hope most users will be in a big enough city to be listed, if not choose nearest?
    2.) Use only country/state and not city, and have a manual entry city blank so people from small towns can enter their city even if too small to be on the list.
    3.) A combination, maybe with an if statement... i.e. use the dropdowns, but have a manual entry for "if your city isn't listed, enter here"?
    Or some other way?

If you want to allow users to add their own locations when posting an add, it will require a customization

+ Reply to Thread