+ Reply to Thread

Thread: improve flynax google mobile page speed insights

improve flynax google mobile page speed insights

Running a google page speed insights report on my first flynax install isn't performing as well as I'd like. The mobile report was 19/100! The desktop was ok at 82/100.
    Mobile accessibility was ok 71/100, SEO was ok 71/100, and best practices was ok 89/100.
    But mobile performance at 19/100 needs work.

To keep this apples to apples, I did a report on the flynax public demo page for a listing with nova template:

Page Speed Insights

Mobile Performance 45 of 100

Better than my first install which is on a small server for development (I''ll give it more horsepower before I bring it online live.) But still would like to improve the mobile.
    Desktop report is again ok at 81, but mobile score would be great to improve.

Any tips for improving this?

What is the best mobile page speed insights score you've been able to achieve?
    https://pagespeed.web.dev/

Here is the report.

METRICS

First Contentful Paint
    3.5 s

Largest Contentful Paint
    4.4 s

Total Blocking Time
    1,860 ms

Cumulative Layout Shift

Speed Index
    6.1 s

DIAGNOSTICS
    Some third-party resources can be lazy loaded with a facade 1 facade alternative available
    Eliminate render-blocking resources Potential savings of 2,040 ms
    Reduce JavaScript execution time 4.4 s
    YouTube Video 2,952 ms
    demoflynax.com 1st Party 2,057 ms
    Unattributable 633 ms
    AddToAny Social 55 ms

Minimize main-thread work 8.9 s
    Consider reducing the time spent parsing, compiling and executing JS. You may find delivering smaller JS payloads helps with this. Learn how to minimize main-thread workTBT
    Script Evaluation 5,419 ms
    Other 1,178 ms
    Style & Layout 866 ms
    Garbage Collection 481 ms
    Script Parsing & Compilation 447 ms
    Rendering 236 ms
    Parse HTML & CSS 234 ms

Reduce the impact of third-party code Third-party code blocked the main thread for 2,200 ms
    Largest Contentful Paint element 4,390 ms
    Reduce unused CSS Potential savings of 108 KiB
    Serve images in next-gen formats Potential savings of 74 KiB
    Reduce unused JavaScript Potential savings of 892 KiB
    YouTube Video 931.9 KiB
    Avoid an excessive DOM size 1,407 elements
    Last edited by Horizon; January 12, 2024 at 09:05 AM.

First observation:

For a listing without a youtube video, can we eliminate the youtube javascript if there is no youtube video on the listing's page?

Reduce JavaScript execution time 4.4 s
    YouTube Video 2,952 ms
    Last edited by Horizon; January 12, 2024 at 09:17 AM.

See this thread, it should help I think: https://forum.flynax.com/showthread....ght=page+speed

Thanks! I missed that thread and I had not seen that apache module before somehow. That should get me up from the 19 mobile score to 45 mobile score that the flynax public demo produces. I'd still like to get it up higher though as 45 is in the red.

1.) I'm not currently embedding any youtube videos, so maybe I can eliminate the youtube javascript entirely, at least as a test.? Where is that loaded in flynax?
    I would be curious how that would change the report for a test.

2.) The image slider looks great on mobile, but that seems to be a big hit on mobile performance score. I think I am going to have you do a customization anyway on that to use a different image loading, so I'll table that for now and keep this mobile performance score in mind when I ask you to do a customization for me in a week or two on that one.

3.) There is mention in post 8 of https://forum.flynax.com/showthread....ll=1#post29906
    It would be good if the js files could be transferred from the head part to the footer part. The head partially degrades the page speed a lot. Or you could install something like rocketjs-loader.
    Has anyone done any experimentation on optimizing the javascript or moving any javascript from head to the end of the page for pagespeed mobile performance?

It looks to me like the youtube javascript is actually accounting for as much time as all the internal javascript, so first I'd like to see if I gain by eliminating that where not being utilized anyway.

If that had a meaningful result, it might require another customization to only include that js on a page with a youtube video embedded...

+ Reply to Thread