+ Reply to Thread

Thread: filter for search results

filter for search results

Plugin Filter created for categories works great.

Plugin Filter created for search results doesn't seem to work as expected though. It filters ignoring the search. For example if you search categories=category1, or country=Canada and then click a filter on the search results page, the following page presents filtered results from all categories, or ignoring what has been entered in the previous search.
    Last edited by Horizon; January 10, 2024 at 10:26 AM.

The filter plugin and the search form don't work together, you should decide what tool to use for filtering results

Ok, that makes sense.
    Plugin Filter is great for category browsing to filter results
    And search has Refine search option which does the job.

However, when an admin goes to
    Admin -> Plugins -> Filter + Add a Filter Box

It makes you choose
    *Box Name
    *Filter box for [select]
    All categories of a listing type
    Particular category(s)
    Search results <-- this made me think it should work

So if it doesn't work for search results, I'm not sure that option should be there to create a filter on the search results page ???

Ok, now I understand what you mean: if you use standard search form then on the search results you can apply the filter form (created for Search results) and it works well

Note that it will work only with the POST method (listing type > Search Settings > Submit method)

OK, I am using GET method for search so that is why the filter plugin doesn't work for search results then. Thanks!

I realized after posting this thread that the options available in the refine search sidebar mirror those on the incoming search form. Since I was using a very short quick search form, I didn't have many options on the refine search. But once I realized this, that function works great too for search results refining.

+ Reply to Thread