+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classified niche ideas

Guru

Classified niche ideas

Hello guys,

I was thinking about some classified niche ideas.
    Maybe we could share some ideas on here among each other?

What doesnt work in one country might work in another?

Just an idea.
    Thnx
    Boatfind.com
    Boatfind.com.au

Yeah its a hard one due to the big popular sites that currently fill the market. Being in the Uk its generally hard to compete. My original auto classifieds which I set up around 2011, was in competition with some big sites and lots and lots of wannabe sites so I eventually gave up as its a massive market here. It did last 8 years though and I was making money...not a lot but deffo covered server costs.

I am trying to think outside the box.

I am trying a different route with the script this time. As a wildlife and landscape photographer I wanted to do something photography based. So my sites more of a specification site of old and new camera and lenses. Downside is there is about 2500 digital cameras and 1500 lenses I need to input data for hahahaha. Obviously the newest stuff takes priority. Also I will report news on the newest gear that gets released.

Also using the review plugin to let users leave real life reviews on cameras and lenses. ( I could do with this plugin being bit more in-depth though my idea here)

Also the compare plugin is a big feature for my site which I want to customise in future.

I don't get much traffic at the minute but I am still inputting data which will take a while so happy to just let nature take its course with traffic. As of yet I have not advertised the site in anyway.

My plan is then using traffic for google ads as a income source and charge for advertising space (may need an awful lot more traffic than I currently get....but this will take time)

Once the traffics there I plan to reach out to companies to test the newest gear to review...and for me to try stuff out, etc.

So my site is more of a hobby site rather than an all out attempt to make money. I may or may not add a classified section in the future but we will see. I may try and use the the shopping cart plugin and do downloadable photography guides and stuff though.

I could have used Wordpress for all this but as I had 2 licenced Flynax scripts doing nothing and the fact I love Flynax and I can get support and customisations by the team I decided to use this script.

So that's my idea so no one go and pinch it haha.

Links below if anyone wants to take a look
    Last edited by Chris Brown; March 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM.
    New Site: CameraSpecs https://bit.ly/3G4uYA6

Old Site: MotorAdsUk

Guru
    U should use the microdata plugin if you planning on using reviews. You will rank good in google.
    I think managing a general classified is just too competative. Unless you have a very good domain you will surely struggle to make it profitable.
    Last edited by kiowa; March 5, 2022 at 08:46 PM.
    Boatfind.com
    Boatfind.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by kiowa View Post
    U should use the microdata plugin if you planning on using reviews. You will rank good in google.
    I think managing a general classified is just too competative. Unless you have a very good domain you will surely struggle to make it profitable.
    Yeah I plan to, I do use listing types for blog posts rather than the new section so I can categorise the news. Not 100% sure if the micro data is set up for listing types as blog posts so may need customisation plus I will have to buy that plugin
    New Site: CameraSpecs https://bit.ly/3G4uYA6

Old Site: MotorAdsUk

There really are almost unlimited niches although I'm not sure if there is much money to be made.

There's a facebook group for every collection based hobby you can imagine, find one that has a reasonable following, spend some time with the group and see if they may be interested in a more targeted classifieds for their hobby. Offer a free service for basic listings, with some paid upgrade options once things get busier.

A few ideas:

Model cars / Slot cars
    War memorabilia.
    Charity buttons/badges
    Collectable Pottery
    Retro gaming
    Collector cards

Then there's niches within niches... things like eco homes, tiny homes, vintage tractors etc. People may be more willing to pay to advertise if their sale price is higher for the item.

Consider also that you could run a site just for one country that is in need of the service, but you don't need to be located in that country yourself. So for instance you might be able to set something up that concentrates on a small island nation where the expertise is not available locally and other larger players have not bothered as it's considered too small a market.

These are just a few that come to my head as I am a member of some of these types of groups and can see that there might be a better way to buy and sell if it's more targeted than say facebook or ebay.

That's exactly what I'm doing Graham. I'm in Cabo Verde and apart from Facebook marketplace there isn't anywhere online for the islanders to buy and sell anything. Ebay or Amazon isn't used so I'm hopeful it will take off, my only concern is driving the initial traffic to the site but I'm going to run a social media campaign with a few competitions with cash prizes so hopefully that should give it a kick start.

Rob, you seem to be the perfect example of what I suggested. I just happened to stop by the forum today and noticed your response .

I guess you just need to do things a little better than Facebook somehow.

+ Reply to Thread