+ Reply to Thread

Thread: webp question

Master

webp question

My question would be next. You can now switch to webp image usage, but there is no alternative to what happens if someone is using an old version of Safari, for example. They do not display the web image.
    The pages where webp images are used are done so that as an alternative, if webp does not go, it will display the jpg or png image.

Hello,

How do you switch to the webp mode?

note that on old safari versions and other browsers the nova and olx templates also will not look good as we don't support old browsers anymore

so it's better to ask users to update their browsers
    Last edited by Rudi; July 8, 2021 at 06:55 AM.

Master
    I configured the use of webp images in the admin panel, but if, for example, someone opens a web page with an older version of the Safari browser, the webp images will not be displayed because Safari can only handle webp images from 14.0 onwards.

Master
    So if I understand correctly, should the user be alerted to update to the latest player?
    browser-upgrade.htx does this file do this or do i need to do a dump on this?

On Safari 14 it should work, at least it works on our end (Safary 14.1.1)

and it's not possible to switch between the webp and basic mode depending on the browser version

you'd better disable this option in admin if you're not sure

it will require modifying the browser-upgrade.htx and add a js code to the head.tpl to notify users about their outdated browsers
    Last edited by Rudi; July 9, 2021 at 02:32 AM.

I guess it's safest for now is just use the old format jpg till webp popular enough

Master
    I have found a script that works perfectly, this script if someone enters the site with an outdated browser they will warn you and offer them the latest version of the browser they are using.

https://browser-update.org/en/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    On Safari 14 it should work, at least it works on our end (Safary 14.1.1)

and it's not possible to switch between the webp and basic mode depending on the browser version

you'd better disable this option in admin if you're not sure

it will require modifying the browser-upgrade.htx and activate a line in head.tpl to notify users about their outdated browsers
    What should I write in the Head.tpl file to warn the user that 14.0 is the minimum you need to use in Safari.
    Last edited by Jenő Kocsi; July 8, 2021 at 05:06 PM.

You need to use javascript code to identify the browser and its version;

see this example: https://www.seanmcp.com/articles/how...in-javascript/

+ Reply to Thread