+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Add Listing Type and its Categories to Homepage

Post How to Add Listing Type and its Categories to Homepage

It seems so easy, but I cannot figure out how to add a Listing Type and its categories to the homepage.

I tried the Listing Boxes plugin, but that did not work as it only allows me the following Box Types:

- Popular
    - Recent
    - Featured
    - Random

I wonder if I create a new Content Box and inserts a special code in the Box Type?

Guru
    Joe That is done in the listing type settings from memory. will check when I get 5.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

The Listing Type settings only seem to allow me to add an "Additional Category Box" to the homepage.

I would like to add a Listing Type and its category to display.

Guru
    Joe, Try This > https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crhhcDVe8ii and sorry about the crappy connection, never really happens but today id did for some reason.

Pete
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

I believe the above method adds a category box to the homepage not listings?

I will try again tonight

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Can View Post
    I believe the above method adds a category box to the homepage not listings?

I will try again tonight
    ? you asked this question ? confused "how to add a Listing Type and its categories to the homepage." maybe I am not clear what you mean

I do not want to add a link or a box with categories on the homepage.

I want to add ad listings of a "Listing Type" with "Categories":

- Listing Type: Premiere Homepage Listings
    -- Category: Country A
    -- Category: Country B
    -- Category: Country C

My goal is to attach a Listing Package to the Listing Type; so, I can charge more for homepage listings.

Guru
    Ok let me think about that? in reality, you do not list on the home page / but you could set a list type to show on the home page? but then to connect that back to categories?

If it were me I would just have normal list types and categories, then just allow featured to be shown on home page where you charge for these listings?

Let me think further.

I know what you mean now, as gum tree uses something like that, but it does not exist in flynax, there might be a way to engineer something like it ?
    Last edited by Pete Young; May 6, 2021 at 03:02 PM.

"If it were me I would just have normal list types and categories, then just allow featured to be shown on the homepage where you charge for these listings?"

Using the above method would not allow you to charge different prices for homepage featured listings and category featured listings.

I think the way to achieve it is to do the following:

- Create a new "Content Box" and inserts a code in the Box Type (see attached)

image 1.png

Guru
    It is a difficult one.

I have not tested this but it may work although clunky ?

create a category called "featured plus" or whatever you want for each category or listing type, then with normal featured leave that as it is, then create a listing package that includes the new "featured plus" category / but is not available in the normal featured / general listing package.

Now you can charge more for the listing package that includes the "featured plus" category and this can then be connected to show in the home page etc / where you want.

Now I think about this more it could work this way ?

at the top of each listing type you could have a category just called "featured or featured listings" then feed from that

My Listing Type

> Featured Listings
    ...> My category 1
    ......> My sub categories
    ...> My category 2

etc etc

so a normal listing package would all for anyone to list from My category 1 down, they could also pay to feature which would show featured in the categories ( these listing etc would be set to show in parent categories etc.

Now with a second listing package it would cover the same categories but now would also include Featured listings package, this would cost more again, then you allow for users to add their listings to other categories so as an upgraded package they then could add their listing to the featured category at the top which would also in turn then be connected to the home page and support pages.

Just thinking out loud as a way to try to get this to work and to look right, but I have never tested this just an idea in my head that might work?

Maybe featured listings do not need be at the top but just a separate category? because featured looks a silly first category? maybe you could use the listing type as the name of the top category ?
    Last edited by Pete Young; May 7, 2021 at 12:31 AM.

+ Reply to Thread