+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Category Question

Hi Guys,

Let me explain better, hopefully this will tie it up...

I would like to use the category structure over the fields in the case of the employment listing type...Why? Because I am trying to charge for Help Wanted category, BUT NOT CHARGE for Help Offered Category. I believe in Flynax, you can only charge per category vs. by the field. There is no built functionality to charge if the radio button was clicked (assuming, I clicked Help Wanted radio button, or choose from select menu). What would be the best way to do this? Remember, if using the category structure, there will be a Help Wanted and Help Offered category, then inside of each of those will be the sub-categories. but at this point I only know of one way to accomplish this, and that is to create the same sub-categories for the Help Wanted as Help Offered. Is this what I should do, or is there a better way to accomplish this task?
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    is there a better way to accomplish this task Yes (I think so but maybe way wrong)

If people want Help, it usually means in 99% of cases they want free help, so why would you want people to pay for help? and people offering to help also do it for free 99% of the time.

In addition and just looking at the biggest jobs site here, the help section is not in jobs, and I doubt are in any jobs site? might be wrong but the big players here do not have it.

Where you normally find Help is in a community section of a site or a community-based site.

Below is the help section in a local community site / all free to use.

So for my call, I think it is a lot of wasted and difficult work to make it work the way you want it? and I would use listing fields and have it free. But if you want to run paid and free then yes you going to need to duplicate categories up as best I can see. best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

help.png
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Likely, you require paid support or personalized customization?

Guru
    Brian, There is one other way you could swing this cat.

in your jobs listing type add two categories as you suggested / as you want this way you can make one paid and the other free.

LT > Employment
    Cat > Help Offered (free)
    Cat > Help Wanted (paid)
    Cat > Plus all other categories in employment

But then instead of building duplicate subcategories in those 2 categories, build one listing field for both categories help offered and help wanted and in the listing field would be the names of the sub cats that you want.

So instead of building categories underneath just use a listing field with the cat names in it.

If you want to see how that works go > here < and you will see you are in

LT > Lifestyle
    Cat >> Relationships

and you will see I have 4 subcategories listed

Sub Cats > Marriage
    > Relationships
    > Marriage Counsellors
    > Divorce

All of those 4 subcategories are not categories at all, they are listing field with those options and when people select them it filters to that selected filter, I have renamed everything to Sub Category so they look like subcategories.

With this, I can quickly add new subcategories very fast by just adding a new filter to the category.

I use this system right across my site with all subcategories, hope that might help you?

good luck with it all.
    Last edited by Pete Young; March 2, 2021 at 04:21 AM.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Hi Rudi,

That's weird, I believe I have done that, but wasn't thinking about it for 'subcategories' as you have done...It's all about how we think of things. I am going to give it a try and see what happens from there.

Thanks again, Rudi!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post

in your jobs listing type add two categories as you suggested / as you want this way you can make one paid and the other free.

LT > Employment
    Cat > Help Wanted (paid)

But then instead of building duplicate subcategories in those 2 categories, build one listing field for both categories help offered and help wanted and in the listing field would be the names of the sub cats that you want.

So instead of building categories underneath just use a listing field with the cat names in it.

LT > Lifestyle
    Cat >> Relationships

Sub Cats > Marriage
    > Relationships
    > Marriage Counsellors
    > Divorce

All of those 4 subcategories are not categories at all, they are listing field with those options and when people select them it filters to that selected filter, I have renamed everything to Sub Category so they look like subcategories.

With this, I can quickly add new subcategories very fast by just adding a new filter to the category.

I use this system right across my site with all subcategories, hope that might help you?

good luck with it all.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Rudi,

What type of field did you use so that when someone clicks on the link, it would go to the correct subcategory page? Or did you put the link in manually?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post

LT > Employment
    Cat > Help Wanted (paid)

LT > Lifestyle
    Cat >> Relationships

Sub Cats > Marriage
    > Relationships
    > Marriage Counsellors
    > Divorce

good luck with it all.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Rudi,

I am just tired, but I know exactly what you mean. Just create the two main cats, then use the category filter to show the subcategories in the sidebar, or where ever. That's what I have done, but I need to make the two main categories for Employment listing type, then all should be good to go.

Update: I think I am lost...But not too much. I have categories, you say you have 'categories' but as fields, not as normal categories. I have a category sidebar, which is what I am thinking you have done, but no, because in my case, I need actual categories to display the filter sidebar with categories. So my final question, how did you create the filed for categories to show like you did? Ex: What field type did you use?

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 2, 2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Do you mean the dropdown field for category levels that is used on search forms?

it's a system listing field with a key 'category_id', in your case, the title of this field is Category

you put this field to your search form of some listing type

then go to Listings > Listings Types > your type > Edit > Search Settings > Number of category levels > select the number according to the category levels

now you'll have category dropdowns on your search form

Rudi,

I have tried the search form, and added the category field to the employment quick search form, but I don't see it on the front-end. I can confirm that it's on that form. What form should I add the category field to?

I have my employment sidebar currently setup to use the filter plugin, and employment filters. I then built the filter box with the category field. Is that what you mean? If not, I am not exactly sure your method.

Could you give me the steps to do it? I would like to stick with the employment category since this is where this all began.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Do you mean the dropdown field for category levels that is used on search forms?

it's a system listing field with a key 'category_id', in your case, the title of this field is Category

you put this field to your search form of some listing type

then go to Listings > Listings Types > your type > Edit > Search Settings > Number of category levels > select the number according to the category levels

now you'll have category dropdowns on your search form
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 3, 2021 at 03:23 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Brian,

Always post screenshots or provide video links; so, it is easier to understand what you are trying to say.

Otherwise, people are just walking in the dark.

+ Reply to Thread