+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Category Question

Hi Joe,

I am trying to figure out how Pete has his categories. He says he doesn't create categories, he uses the filter to do it, but I can't figure it out.

Here is my screen cast:

Here is Pete Youngs post regarding his setup:

Brian, There is one other way you could swing this cat.

in your jobs listing type add two categories as you suggested / as you want this way you can make one paid and the other free.

LT > Employment
    Cat > Help Offered (free)
    Cat > Help Wanted (paid)
    Cat > Plus all other categories in employment

But then instead of building duplicate subcategories in those 2 categories, build one listing field for both categories help offered and help wanted and in the listing field would be the names of the sub cats that you want.

So instead of building categories underneath just use a listing field with the cat names in it.

If you want to see how that works go > here < and you will see you are in

LT > Lifestyle
    Cat >> Relationships

and you will see I have 4 subcategories listed

Sub Cats > Marriage
    > Relationships
    > Marriage Counsellors
    > Divorce

All of those 4 subcategories are not categories at all, they are listing field with those options and when people select them it filters to that selected filter, I have renamed everything to Sub Category so they look like subcategories.

With this, I can quickly add new subcategories very fast by just adding a new filter to the category.

I use this system right across my site with all subcategories, hope that might help you?

good luck with it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Can View Post
    Brian,

Always post screenshots or provide video links; so, it is easier to understand what you are trying to say.

Otherwise, people are just walking in the dark.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 3, 2021 at 03:40 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

I paid for support and ask questions on the Ticket System.
    The service is very fast, friendly, and they provide first-class service.
    I make sure to post videos to speed up the process instead of me running in circles trying to explain and them trying to understand.
    I also try to show my settings in the admin control panel and the result shown in the front of the website.

Sometimes, I also use photoshop to show a mock-up of what I am trying to achieve.

Hi Joe,

That's what I will do, but since this isn't on the top of my todo list, I will push back on it some, but I am definitely interested in this category functionality

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Can View Post
    I paid for support and ask questions on the Ticket System.
    The service is very fast, friendly, and they provide first-class service.
    I make sure to post videos to speed up the process instead of me running in circles trying to explain and them trying to understand.
    I also try to show my settings in the admin control panel and the result shown in the front of the website.

Sometimes, I also use photoshop to show a mock-up of what I am trying to achieve.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Brian,

If you need the same scheme with listing types list as Pete has,

you should use the Additional Category Box on home page,

for that, you need to set in each of your listing types > Edit > Additional Category Box:

Position > the same position

Display first > 0

Display subcategories > No

Number of visible subcategories > 0

so when you go to home page and click, say, Employment, it will navigate you to the Employment page with categories in the filter box

Nothing special

Guru
    Brian when I get 5 mins I will show you (in a video) the setup and how it works, you will see it is simple to do.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Guru
    https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crefV6WLNw

Brian here is a video (above) for you to watch I hope it helps.

* Note at about the 40-second mark the video stops with an X on the screen. No idea why it did that? anyway. at that point just close the video/screen and reopen it again and before pressing play drag the timer at the bottom across to the 50-second mark and press play and the video will resume until the end.

LT = Lifestyle
    > Cat = Relationships
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Marriage
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Relationships
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Marriage Counselors
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Divorce
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Relationships

> Cat = Dating
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Dating Coaches
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Dating

> Cat = Self Help
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Life Coach
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Self Help
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Pete,

Thank you so much for the very detailed video, I will try it tomorrow as I am working tonight away from the computer.

Thanks again!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crefV6WLNw

Brian here is a video (above) for you to watch I hope it helps.

* Note at about the 40-second mark the video stops with an X on the screen. No idea why it did that? anyway. at that point just close the video/screen and reopen it again and before pressing play drag the timer at the bottom across to the 50-second mark and press play and the video will resume until the end.

LT = Lifestyle
    > Cat = Relationships
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Marriage
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Relationships
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Marriage Counselors
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Divorce
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Relationships

> Cat = Dating
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Dating Coaches
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Dating

> Cat = Self Help
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Life Coach
    >> LF (Sub Cat) = Other Self Help
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Rudi,

Thanks for the tip, I think what Pete has is something a bit further. It looks like he has built the category structure from filters and data entries only, not using the category section at all. I am going to look into the video he posted. If you can add to this I would appreciate it. All help is greatly appreciate.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Brian,

If you need the same scheme with listing types list as Pete has,

you should use the Additional Category Box on home page,

for that, you need to set in each of your listing types > Edit > Additional Category Box:

Position > the same position

Display first > 0

Display subcategories > No

Number of visible subcategories > 0

so when you go to home page and click, say, Employment, it will navigate you to the Employment page with categories in the filter box

Nothing special
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

I would ask Flynax if using this method will not break your website if there is a future update. I am sure you are okay, but, should ask?

Guru
    Brian this video quickly shows you how to set up the list type page

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crefnwWNQ3

+ Reply to Thread