+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Category Question

Category Question

Is it possible to put have sub-categories like the following example:

Category #1 -> Subcategory #1
    Category #2 -> Subcategory #1

What I mean by that is I would like to have two parent categories, and inside each parent, I would like to have a copy of the same subcategory in each parent, or do I have to create separate categories for each parent?

A better understanding would be this:

Employment Listing Type

Help Wanted
    Help Offered

I would like to put all my current categories in both help wanted and help offered is that possible or do I have to create the same categories again, with different keys?

Brian
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    Brian Your description is confusing? You talk about a category, subcategory and then your example starts with Listing Type, Category. But I think I see what you want to do.

The answer is that you have it back to front. In that Help Wanted and Help Offered should be listed as a Listing field, not a category. from my guide below

Now to add to that, is the understanding and relationship between Categories and Listing Fields within the Flynax Script, and to explain further, is to say that for the best part a Listing Field can be seen in the same way as a Category, but with one difference.

That difference is that in most cases a Sub Category can only apply to the Parent Category of that Sub Category, while a Listing Field in most cases, applies not only to the Parent Category of that Listing Field, but also often belongs to one or more other Parent Categories.
    try to think about your category structure using the above guide and it should work better.

I tried looking at the employment section of your site but the link / button does not work so I could not see the categories you have.

If you want to add a more detailed example I am happy to look at it for you.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

I think I know what you are asking...albeit I might be wrong. However, I believe what you are asking is possible. See the image I atteached.

job.jpg

Ray,

That is correct, I want to setup my employment category like your screen shot. Could you explain how you done that?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Moser View Post
    I think I know what you are asking...albeit I might be wrong. However, I believe what you are asking is possible. See the image I atteached.

Attachment 4082
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Ray,

From the looks of your screenshot, I can only assume that you have used different category keys for each 'duplicated' category. Is that correct, or is there something I missed like copy category to another category feature?

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Moser View Post

Attachment 4082
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

I think if I understand you correctly, Is that you want to have sub-categories within the main category.
    If so, yes the software already allows for this; however, I do not like how it looks in the front end.

To build sub-categories, look at the categories > categories and browse pages.
    You need to create a sub-category and connect it to a main category.
    If you want duplicate, you only need to make the "key" names different.
    Last edited by Joe Can; March 1, 2021 at 02:23 AM.

Joe,

Yes, sub-categories within the main category, yes, that is correct, but I want to have the SAME subcategories for two different main categories. So for example:

Main Category - Help Wanted - Subcategory 1, Subcategory 2
    Main Category - Help Offered - Subcategory 1, Subcategory 2

Note: Subcategory 1 and Subcategory 2 will be identical subcategories of the main category Help Wanted. That is my main goal. I think I had this awhile back, but what I did (not knowing if there was a different way to accomplish it) I created the same sub-categories for each main category using different category keys to do it, but is there a better way to duplicate them? A copy category button would be great, like how you can move a listing, that should be possible for categories too.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Can View Post
    I think if I understand you correctly, Is that you want to have sub-categories within the main category.
    If so, yes the software already allows for this; however, I do not like how it looks in the front end.

To build sub-categories, look at the categories > categories and browse pages.
    You need to create a sub-category and connect it to a main category.
    If you want duplicate, you only need to make the "key" names different.
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 1, 2021 at 02:31 AM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

As far as I know, you can have duplicate sub-category names.
    You only need to have different "Key" names and "URL" names.
    See attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru
    Brian, I think you are doing this the wrong way around. but your call. You will NOT be able to make the SAME subcategory for 2 separate parent categories.
    the best you will have is two separate subcategories with the same name.

By duplicating subcategories (which can happen very occasionally) yes they will need different names in the back end but a way too complicated structure for you and your users.

The current flynax script already does a good job of organising the categories within jobs they have reumes and Vacancies. I am not sure I can understand resumes? so I would delete that and possibly rename vacancies to something like? employment type or role or similar and I would have a listing field option then that can be applied to all categories in jobs as

help wanted
    help offered

which even more confuses me when you say employment type Employment Listing Type as it seems to not belong in employment? it seems more a community thing?

anyway, good luck with it.
    Last edited by Pete Young; March 1, 2021 at 03:23 AM.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

I agree with this statement:

- "the best you will have is two separate subcategories (in two different categories) with the same name"

The above is what I understand you are trying to achieve.

Correct?
    Last edited by Joe Can; March 1, 2021 at 03:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread