+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering Mass Transit Systems

Post Entering Mass Transit Systems

I want to create a field where a user can select a nearby mass transit system; so, it must be multiply levels, for example:

- Country #1:

-- City #1:

--- Transit System Name #1
    ---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

--- Transit System Name #2
    ---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

-- City #2:

- Country #2:

-- City #1:

---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

I assume I basically follow the same procedures for entering multiple countries.

I would need two fields with the same data entries in case of the rare event that a location is near two mass transit systems.

Any advice you can share would be gratefully appreciated.

Guru
    Joe please bring me up to speed > "I assume I basically follow the same procedures for entering multiple countries." how does one select multiple countries please.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Peter,

I mean to say that one can enter more than one country and a user can select one.

However, that said, if an admin wants to allow for selecting more than one country, the admin would have to make the same country field two times so a user could select one country in one field and a second country on the second field.

However, what I do not understand is how searching a website would react to such a setup.

However, this is just a theory; so, I wanted to clarify with others to problem-solve before I makie many entries on the Transit fields.
    Last edited by Joe Can; February 13, 2021 at 12:23 AM.

Guru
    Ok Understand that part then, would this be a global site, do you plan to add levels below, city-level ie 4, 5, 6 levels deep on a multi-level listing field?
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Yes, 10 smaller countries.

As for levels, I only went 4 levels deep:

1. Country
    2. Sub Region 1 (Usually province)
    3. Sub Region 2 (Usually district)
    4. Sub Region 3 (Usually sub-district - only for very large cities)

There have been some issues with this structure; but, support has been there every step of the way.

Guru
    ---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

So these parts are stand-alone and not connected to countries etc?

I think they need to be connected to countries as shown below.

One very large city where I live currently has about 4 mass transit systems and now building about 7 more in other cities around the country.

- Country #1:

-- City #1:

---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

---- Transit Station #1
    ---- Transit Station #2

-- City #2:

Guru
    ? Joe if these are needed to be connected to countries / regions towns then they have to add to those multi level drop downs ? I am feeling a little lost on how it can be done otherwise ? maybe I am miss understanding what you want to achieve ?

Unless you are going to recreate those 10 countries with cities below them then below those you will have transit system and under that transit stations.

itf so you need to build a multi level

Country
    - City
    -- Transit System
    ---Transit Station

so yes as you have it is correct

"I would need two fields with the same data entries in case of the rare event that a location is near two mass transit systems"

No each level works down in that under a transit system, you would list all available transit station available to that transit system. If a station also fell under a second transit system it would also need to be listed under that transit system.

-- Transit system = Blue
    --- transit station apple
    --- transit station pear
    --- transit station orange

--transit system = Red
    --- transit station pineapple
    --- transit station cherry
    --- transit station pear

If I understand you question correctly as you refer to location? i am guessing this means station ?
    Last edited by Pete Young; February 13, 2021 at 09:18 AM.

Very excellent points.

I think the best option, based on your feedback, would be to build the following multifield dropdown structure:

- Level #1: - Country (United States of America)

-- Level #2: -- States (Washington State)

--- Level #3: --- Transit System Name #1 (Airport Transit Line)

---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #1 (Apple Transit Station)
    ---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #2 (Pear Transit Station)
    ---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #3 (Orange Transit Station)

--- Level #3: --- Transit System Name #2 (Boat Transit Line)

---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #1 (Onion Transit Station)
    ---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #2 (Tomato Transit Station)
    ---- Level #4: ----Transit Station Name #3 (Lettuce Transit Station)

An issue in entering data may be that newer mass transit systems are not only within a single state or city:

- May connect two cities
    - May cross half of or the entire country
    - May connect multiple airports in different states (provinces in my case)

These transit systems are also built to complement each other; so, a person can use different systems to get to their final destination, for example:

- Airport Transit to point A
    - Boat Transit to point B
    - Subway Transit to point C

Based on the above, I think a website user should be able to indicate their location if it happens to be near:

- Point A and Point B, or
    - Point B and Point C

I believe a problem that exists is that the Multifield/Location Filter plugin only allows a user to select ONE dropdown item at a time (one station)
    I do not think that the Multifield/Location Filter plugin allows for multi-selection (two stations)

Therefore, a solution would be to build two exact but different multifield dropdowns that mirror each other 100 percent.
    The only difference would be the label given to them:

- Nearest Transit Station #1: Apple Transit Station
    - Nearest Transit Station #2: Onion Transit Station

However, a person reading an ad would only know the Transit STATION Name, not the Transit SYSTEM Name; unless the Transit Station System and Transit Station Name were entered together:

- Nearest Transit Station #1: Airport Transit System > Apple Transit Station
    - Nearest Transit Station #2: Boat Transit Line > Onion Transit Station

I could even abbreviate it if space was an issue:

- Nearest Transit Station #1: ATS > Apple Transit Station
    - Nearest Transit Station #2: BTL > Onion Transit Station

I do very much thank you for your time, attention, and ideas.
    For me, it helps me understand something better if I write a plan before entering data.
    I also feel that my brainstorming on the forum may help someone in the community in the future while I find and resolve potential issues being presented.

Guru
    I would test out your ideas on a small scale to see if they worked as you wanted, before launching full steam because that looks like a big task. but good to see the system being challenged and getting outside the square.

+ Reply to Thread