+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I Get a Honest Review Please

Guru

Can I Get a Honest Review Please

If you have the time I would love a quick but honest review of my revamped site, please. What I am looking for is not what you like, but what you do not like, or what you think needs fixing, just the raw honest truth.

I can not fix what I can not see is broken and like most, we look at our sites through rose coloured glasses, so an outsider's honest review is important to me.

See link in sig. Thank you.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    If you have the time I would love a quick but honest review of my revamped site, please. What I am looking for is not what you like, but what you do not like, or what you think needs fixing, just the raw honest truth.

I can not fix what I can not see is broken and like most, we look at our sites through rose coloured glasses, so an outsider's honest review is important to me.

See link in sig. Thank you.
    I think your site is lacking color, first impressions when ppl go on a site is visual....no doubt about that. It makes ppl stay or go right away.
    but that is just me,

Quote Originally Posted by kiowa View Post
    I think your site is lacking color, first impressions when ppl go on a site is visual....no doubt about that. It makes ppl stay or go right away.
    but that is just me,
    I agree on this. Overall looks pretty clean but a bit boring. Too much white I think. May be some color on the top header like in the footer? The logo word font could be improve too. In my opinion it looks too much classy compared to the rest. I mean the logo does not go along with everything else.

Guru
    Thanks, guys exactly what I wanted to hear, I will look at the colour, I dialled the colour down from the featured ads because the script only displayed colour in parts of the display and seemed broken and it looked wrong. I did have some colour in the side bar but stripped that back as well.

Will look at how I can introduce some colour back into it.

Thanks.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    Thanks, guys exactly what I wanted to hear, I will look at the colour, I dialled the colour down from the featured ads because the script only displayed colour in parts of the display and seemed broken and it looked wrong. I did have some colour in the side bar but stripped that back as well.

Will look at how I can introduce some colour back into it.

Thanks.
    Pete,

read this short article.

https://websitesetup.org/website-color-schemes/

Guru
    Thanks Kiowa will look at this, I did follow a colour theme related to the base colours used from the icons in flynax blue but it is shades of blue so I will look to add some highlight colours based on your guide.

Guru
    Well, I took on board your comments, I found thanks To Kiowa this colour planner per se > https://mycolor.space/?hex=%23157ED2&sub=1 I then took the blue from the love hearts as my base because that is a hardcoded colour that we can not change.

From there I edited out colours, not much have tried to extend the colour range, these are also used in hovers and pop up notices as well to also add more colour, but it runs from that planner and I think it is at least step in the right direction.

I have not found a suitable replacement for the banner yet but will keep trying different fonts, the idea for the logo comes from this company that makes these logo's > https://photologo.co/

plus still also to finish colouring the mobile view as the colours do not carry in some parts.

all in all, thank you for your honesty, I will continue to ask my visitors in time as well and keep making adjustments as I go.

Pete

see sig link for an updated look.

The mix of business and marriage/relationship/sex counseling is a bit of an oddity in my opinion and is the first thing that struck me rather than the design itself. I feel that sites like this that want to cover many bases right from the outset tend to have a bit of a generic feel and I wonder if you should concentrate efforts on a more niche area first, then slowly grow and introduce other areas once you have the trust of that particular niche or create individual sites that are more tailored. It may be just that having all those varied articles on the front page is what I find a bit strange, perhaps there's a way to qualify the reader before hitting them with the article briefs.

As far as colours and design goes, I agree that it looks clean but lacking in punch. Some colour psychology stuff might be worth a read https://www.color-meanings.com/

I used to make handwriting fonts for a living (still do occasionally) but I'm not sold on the one used for the logo and in it's current form looks more like a subheading than a logo in my opinion. I'd probably try and incorporate at least some form of icon into it or offset the words or something. Throw your wording into a font site like dafont.com and see what fonts work and what doesnt.

The site name makes me think of relationships more than business, and that likely makes it harder to come up with a logo that covers both. Also, I think you are also constrained a bit by the template logo area when it comes to sizing... which I had the same issue with on the site Im making. If you havent already promoted this domain, don't be afraid to investigate other domain possibilities, made up words etc (try for a .com if possible as it still has more clout than a .net).

Good luck and I hope I have offset any negatives with some possible solutions.

Guru
    Thanks, Graham, appreciate the feedback, something to think about.

In regards to the domains I do own the dot.com and have it redirected, I also own the UK, .nz, au etc. on this domain including the .dating, so the reason for picking the .net for the front domain was just for a global entry point, the .com I can use to promote in the states (using a redirect on the .com), the .au to promote in Australia etc., etc.

Yes, the logo area is restrictive and nothing I can do. (I think?) I would like it a little bigger?

The site is if we look at a niche? For better words or its purpose is to help people become their best in all areas of thier life, and to do that we look at 3 main subcategories being health, wealth and relationships.

I have studied setups from niche to wider based sites; for example, we could use > growing tomatoes. com > or growing vegetables. com > or growing your home garden. com, by selecting the last one and starting with a category for tomatoes lets you expand as much as you want and less restrictive, so that is my reasoning there.

In life, we always have one of those problems going on, our relationship is not working our business or finances properly are not working, or our health or fitness is out of whack.

So I guess I have split these down as listing types to use those as 3 separate channels to bring people in on, for example, if they are interested in relationships they just come in on that listing type, channel per se. If they choose to explore further, that is thier call.

I will check out those 2 links that you posted, thank you very much for these, I really do listen as much as I can as I do not want to be in a bubble of self-praise and believe in getting in at the heart of things as much as I can and positively ask questions and make changes even if small.

For me building the sites out in the structure, in a way has become easy, and I have a rough guide for that, but I want to write a new guide all about how we make these sites make money.

And to do that I am now just focusing on how to drive traffic, the monetise sides of the site and how to make it work, and everything else related to the study of making these sites tick and become successful.

I hope to be able to work with other like-minded people here on that journey and to share the results and outcomes here for others as well as there are a few here that I can see with the same drive and passion for building these sites out.

Pete

Hi Pete,

It looks cleaner for sure. But I still think it looks a bit out of place in this part.
    Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 11.14.35 AM.png

The gap between the search bar and the main content below. May be you should add a full width banner, or a bottom border line.

+ Reply to Thread