+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Data entries vs Categories

Lightbulb Data entries vs Categories

Hi there,
    Can someone explain me benefits from "Data entries" vs Categories?
    I have some items(listings), for example airplanes with category (single engine) (multi engine) and I'm wondering if type of engine should not be Data Entry instead of Category

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksander Godzilo-godlewski View Post
    Hi there,
    Can someone explain me benefits from "Data entries" vs Categories?
    I have some items(listings), for example airplanes with category (single engine) (multi engine) and I'm wondering if type of engine should not be Data Entry instead of Category
    Aleksander, By Data Entry you are you referring to Liting fields?

Now to add to that, is the understanding and relationship between Categories and Listing Fields within the Flynax Script, and to explain further, is to say that for the best part a Listing Field can be seen in the same way as a Category, but with one difference.

That difference is that in most cases a Sub Category can only apply to the Parent Category of that Sub Category, while a Listing Field in most cases, applies not only to the Parent Category of that Listing Field, but also often belongs to one or more other Parent Categories.

Ask if this Sub Category belongs to one or more Parent Categories to determine if you should create a Sub Category or a Listing Field.

It really is your choice, but let's say both a single-engine plane and or double-engine plane can have the same engine type then it will more than likely be a listing field in that the engine type belong to more than one parent category

C > Planes
    SC >> Single Engine Planes
    LF >>> Engine type (type1, type2,etc)

-

C > Planes
    SC >> Double Engine Planes

/\ you can see in this example that you are not repeating a category twice.

However, given your example, I would explore using The number of engines also as a possible listing field. Example

LT > For Sale
    C >> Planes
    LF >>> # of Engines (1,2, Other)

This structure will keep your Planes for sale category tighter and by using Listing Feilds combined with the filter plugin you will be able to have an easy to use and clutter-free site per se.

You can read more about this in the free guide I have or by downloading the flynax general set up guide.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Thank you so much for this explanation.
    Now it's clear for me.

+ Reply to Thread