+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forms / Fields General Question

Forms / Fields General Question

I would like to ask the Flynax community a couple of general questions regarding forms / fields...

I would like to know if creating a default set of fields for the listing form is good practice, let me explain what I mean by that. For example, since I am not too sure about all the fields a certain listing type or category will contain (at this point) I will put a set of default fields into groups so I know what is what (helps for organization purposes) see below example:

Code:
    Only registered members can view the code.
    Listing Title Field
    Description Field

Code:
    Address Field
    City Field
    State Field
    Zip code Field

Code:
    Additional Information Field

Now based on this design, I am wondering if anyone has tried by this method (not exactly the same fields necessarily, but the default way in general without having all your final fields in place and still put your website live ), and if you have did you have any problems when it comes to adding new fields down the road, like in my situation I am having a hard time thinking of the fields for the Community Listing type although I am familiar with the categories, my mind is just at a blank in thought regarding a couple of listing types for the fields, so my idea is to just create a default form set then go back when thoughts on that listing type become clear. Please let me know your thoughts if that is a good way to do this, or should I wait until all fields are in place before calling this part of the website complete?

Thank you for you input on this!
    Brian
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Guru
    Brian I cover this in depth in my guide so I will not repeat it all here but the basics are yes you can add listing fields at any time but just ask this one question first as it will give you the correct answer most of the time (there are exceptions) > "Ask if this Sub Category belongs to one or more Parent Categories to determine if you should create a Sub Category or a Listing Field."

In short if a sub category belongs to multiple parent categories it is most likely a listing field, if it applies to one only it should be a category.

(Just my views / take it or leave it)
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Thank you Pete, your answer helped me a lot. It's all coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    Brian I cover this in depth in my guide so I will not repeat it all here but the basics are yes you can add listing fields at any time but just ask this one question first as it will give you the correct answer most of the time (there are exceptions) > "Ask if this Sub Category belongs to one or more Parent Categories to determine if you should create a Sub Category or a Listing Field."

In short if a sub category belongs to multiple parent categories it is most likely a listing field, if it applies to one only it should be a category.

(Just my views / take it or leave it)
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread