+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with geo location selection closed locations

Guru

Problem with geo location selection closed locations

I have only the top level in countries selected being Australia, Canada, new Zealand, united states and united kingdom.

I have the levels below that all turned of / inactive (states) and yet when first coming to the site it is selecting all levels of geo location as above example, the result of this is it is then not showing any information on the website because listings are listed at the country level only. People arrive to a blank site ?

How do I stop this from selecting the lower geo levels ? Please

it should be only selecting www.mysite.com/australia/ or the appropriate country?
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

I have checked your site and I cannot select any sub location levels. I can choose a country only. I don't see any other bub-levels of locations.
    Viktor,
    Flynax technical department,
    Best wishes.

Guru
    that's ok Viktor I turned off auto detection and that has fixed it, thankyou.
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Guru
    After some more testing I am going to re open this question.

First the issue ? with geo auto detect is that it detects down 3 levels > Country > State > City ( and even though I have all of my State and City levels set to inactive, the auto still activates and detects these levels)

So here is the issue with this, there would be no new user that could possibly have auto detect set, because every time a new person comes to the site and because 3 levels are selected in most of not all cases the user will see a blank website, secondly if the locations are not on the page they land on they would have no idea what to do and even if they (the locations) are on the page it is still very confusing. The reason being the new site having a listing dialed in and down to that exact level is probably not going to happen. for this reason you would want it to just read the first level > Country

Even then with a site semi built / populated the odds a of a low level ad being there may be slim especially if working global. but even than they may just want to dial it down to selecting the first 2 levels, Country > State

So even though auto detection is a good idea, in practicable terms it is not good given the outcomes for any new or semi populated site.

With that is there a way we can edit the code to give the different levels / options selected by auto detect.

1. Country
    2. Country > State
    3. Country > State > City (which we have now, so that part is good)

Please
    Last edited by Pete Young; May 10, 2019 at 10:24 PM.

Hay Pete

I am sure i posted something about this issue long ago and said the system was not correct in the way it works but nothing has been done to fix this even now..

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mundle View Post
    Hay Pete

I am sure i posted something about this issue long ago and said the system was not correct in the way it works but nothing has been done to fix this even now..
    David I think that different people see it another way and in their mind it is correct, and for others they see it another way, like politics I would rather not take sides but would like the answer to how do I get it to work at the top level and or second level only.

as for the way location listings work the current logic does not make much sense to me either and I also think I raised that with no avail, so gave up fighting it as not worth it, but yes listings should read down in locations, that is correct.

for example for the auto detect to work as it is now, I would need to add at least one listing for every city location in the data base.

Hello Pete,

If you need to detect only country level go to plugins > multiField > rlGeoFilter.class.php > public function detectLocation() (~1600 row)

change this code:
    PHP Code:
    Only registered members can view the code
    to:
    PHP Code:
    Last edited by Rudi; May 13, 2019 at 02:14 AM.

Guru
    Brilliant, love it, thank you

the irony is that the geo is working properly but just needs a tweak to work with the current geo logic of locations

NOTE: if you have a new site using the auto detect, the above fix works well.
    Last edited by Pete Young; May 13, 2019 at 02:44 AM.

Guru
    I will put here what I see as the issue with the current relationship between listings and locations.

After some clear thinking time (in my meditation pod) you could say that the current logic is correct and when applied as intended works properly, nothing wrong with it.

As an example I live in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia. Now if I was to add a listing, (and we are using a global site or even one just set in Australia) lets say I wanted to sell a book? and I said use my location and or selected my location as Australia, south Australia, Adelaide then everything is good and correct.

A user would come to the site (use geo locator auto selection and or manual) and everything would show correctly, if they had Australia selected my ad would be there, if they had South Australia selected, again all good my ad would be there and the same with the city selected.

In short everything works as intended and with the logic.

Where this all falls over, and will require a small edit in code ? rather than logic is this.

lets say I am a book doctor, and I fix books in Australia so I add my book doctor listing and select my location as Australia (because I cover that area) then yes when the person selects Australia (only) as the geo then yes he see's my book doctor ad, all good.

But and here is the but, as soon as he selects any state (or this is auto selected by auto detection) then that ad disappears. Gone Zippo your ad no longer exists regardless if you have a state selected and that ad applies to that state. The same happens at any lower levels.

The fix is simple as the current set up and logic is correct per se, but what needs to happen is in the ad settings if a ad is selected at any certain level (and the levels below are blank) , and lets say country in this example, then what should happen is that is ad is applied automatically to all levels directly below that level in locations.

this way if I had my geo set to say Australia, South Australia as an example I would still see my book repair ad, as it does apply to the state below the country that it belongs to.

This would fix all problems and would avoid people having to ad multiple copies of the same ad to ensure their ads are being displayed to their potential audience.

Guru
    [QUOTE=Rudi;26014]Hello Pete,

If you need to detect only country level go to plugins > multiField > rlGeoFilter.class.php > public function detectLocation() (~1600 row)

change this code:
    PHP Code:
    to:
    PHP Code:
    /QUOTE]

Hello Rudi,

Will this "code change" still work right with the latest version of multifield plugin with the header option added?

thanks

+ Reply to Thread