+ Reply to Thread

Thread: phpMyAdmin Recommended Settings for Database Backup

phpMyAdmin Recommended Settings for Database Backup

Are there certain settings that is recommended for backing up our database in phpMyAdmin other than the default? Some programs, like phpBB3, recommend certain changes from the default. Thanks!

Re: phpMyAdmin Recommended Settings for Database Backup

Hello Azdolfan,

There is no recommended settings for flynax export/import operations, it should work good with default phpmyadmin settings.

Only one major option - we should use utf8 charset. But i think it is also default setting.

About other settings - i may recommend to check complete inserts and extended inserts.

Complete inserts is better in case you have different structure of source and target table and make backup data only without structure.

With Extended inserts option output file will be less.

Complete & Extended inserts are actually the two fields phpBB recommends turning off because they are on by default. They also say to turn on Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION which is off by default.

I did a couple of backups already, and did some with default and some stimulating phpbb, so I'm glad you made your suggestions. I don't have to do multiple backups trying to be save anymore. Thanks Mike F.

You are welcome

+ Reply to Thread