+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Template Question 4.7.1

Guru

Template Question 4.7.1

I did not know whether to place this in templates or here but it is directly related to upgrades so I have chosen here.

I would like some clarification / understanding of upgrading our sites to the latest version, and my questions are related to recently applying to have my site upgraded and with that there seems to be no black and white answers from flynax, not because of any wrong doing but rather because I am not sure if this has been addressed, so if possible can we / I get some clear answers to these questions please.

In my process of updating to 4.7.1 from 4.7.0 I was told that in better words that I also needed to pay extra to upgrade my template to 4.7.1

Yes, it will cost 60 by default but you have template with custom css. But I can make updating for 60USD if you agree to use template with default css.
    Now my understanding of a template is that it is evergreen and that a template rolls around regardless of any version updates, but now according to the information I am getting this is no longer the case, and it would appear that not only do we have a update of the script we also have an update of the template ?

No where at any point in the flynax communication is or has this been mentioned. That in itself would cause problems and upset customers who upgrade to 4.7.1 and believe their template and the work they have done to it will be fine, only to find no it is not.

This then opens the question of if templates are also being upgraded to new version numbers why is there not a patch for that / and or a change log for the template so that we can update our templates to the new version and save countless hours of work and a seamless transition for the visitors to the site.

As it stands if there is a template upgrade with every script version upgrade you would nearly need to have your site go back to the standard template, confusing visitors to your site and just duplicating time to rebuild the template again.

Or am I just dreaming and the template does not need to be upgraded ? and if so why are we being told different ? Can we get some black and white clarification on this please from flynax. Regards Pete
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Hello Pete,

Actually, the issue is not that the patches have no template files to update (like css, tpl and js) - they are always in place if necessary

the fact is that if you have some modifications in your template files they may be lost after applying patch

so files merging is required and it costs extra

Note that you're not forced to pay for upgrade you can do it yourself !

Guru
    All I have done is changes colours and font sizes etc / layouts / I do not see any complications with a upgrade / that said I am more than happy to pay .

Note that you're not forced to pay for upgrade you can do it yourself !
    I would do it myself if I could follow the instructions but they are not clear to me. (and I have been programming for many years and am not a novice) but there are no visuals other than a few notes that do not mean much to me as I have never done this before / updated. I had asked for clarification but that has not happened and did not want to keep beating that drum so id rather just pay to have it done properly than mess it up.

It is also very confusing dealing with upgrades when they tell me all mods to the template will be lost and I will need a fresh install of the template / back to scratch, when this now does not seem to be the case ? as now some mods May be lost. This response is totally different to what I was told.

Had I been told you may loose some in updates, no worries ? I will fix those if and when they happen. Totally different story to what I was told, not angry or upset but It would be good to get one story and forgive me for asking, just a time back I done a upgrade I was told the only way I could upgrade to a latest version was to go the multi site option that I had to totally rebuild only to find afterwards this was not true.

I should be able to just order an upgrade without having to worry about wrong or several different versions of the story and have it done without the stress of which option is true or correct.

so I am not sure why I was even told this ?
    But I can make updating for 60USD if you agree to use template with default css.
    there is simply no need to put me back to a standard template based on what you have said.

no wonder we are confused. Anyway all positive I am happy to also pay for the file merging and I think all of this could have been avoided with clear communication.

We are happy to upgrade and the cost is $60, but see as you have made some changes to your template, Some of these changes may not update in the upgrade and may be lost, if you like we can do a file merge at the same time which will ensure everything stays the same but will cost a few more $ making the total $80. which option would you like to take ?

with the confusion I am still waiting to get the work done and non of this should have need to happen, Rudi, thank you for clarifying I do appreciate it, and will make life easier moving forward with future upgrades and avoiding uncertainties.

Pete
    Getting Started or Starting Over with Your Classified Site? then Get Ready Set Fly V 4.7.1 > quietSecrets.net

Hi Pete,

I will answer your question based on my experience. I have upgrades my flynax software multiple times in the past and that included template upgrade. For software upgrade most of the time it comes with changes/fixes for templates as well so you will find template patch files in the script patch folder as well. If you just do color change and font size. It should be an easy task for you to upgrade your template to match your script version.

What I usually do is I take note of my changes/customization from old template version: like color/font size change, adding quick search on homepage, remove the option to upload local video, hide seller phone number, etc. Those mod/customization are stuffs that I have done to my template.

So after I updated my script. I went ahead and download the newest version of the template I used, the full version. Then I applied the mod/customization that I noted above. It usually went smoothly. This way, it doesn't cost fee for flynax team to upgrade for u, unless you don't have time and wanted flynax to help. Or unless you have complex modification to your template that was done by flynax and that you have no idea how to apply it to your new template version.

Hope this help.
    Last edited by Wei Hong; April 19, 2019 at 04:17 AM.

Guru
    Thanks Wei, I am sure it is easy to do. I updated this time because I wanted the latest seo options so fingers crossed after this upgrade I should be fine for this website I am building and it should not need further updates.

I have updated many scripts over the years and to update flynax has to be one of the most complicated things on the planet (for me) most are just seamless press a button or auto upgrade. anyway all should be good moving forward and appreciate your help.

also I will add flynax have also been good in helping, no problems there but it does get a little confusing getting different versions of the process and outcomes.

Pete

No problem Pete,

Yea, Flynax in the past was so complicated to upgraded without flaw. I got a lot of issues with hook function in mysql. But recently it's been OK, I think they got better. So it should be fine with you.

And yes, Flynax is good with support, too. Thanks to that I'm still here.

I agree that we also need video tutorials for how to do things. Dev's, please make screencasts/ videos as you work or asked to by subscribers. Almost every functionality needs videos and should be accessible in the subscribers account. Such tools and resources are a must for newbies like myself. Quite often it takes months just to do the basic setup. Flynax script itself is one of the best out there. We do have another website using a GeoDesic Solution script and it has over 200 video tutorials covering most of the aspects in the Backend Admin etc.

+ Reply to Thread