+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Limit the amount of characters on username field?

Limit the amount of characters on username field?

Hello,

Edit #2: Yes, I clearly know what I want to do...It's on the First Name field (account page) that I would like to limit the actual input to 8 characters max, the size of the First Name field can remain the same size.

Edit: This may not be necessary, as I just looked into the ap->user accounts area, and noticed that the name that shows on the Welcome area of my navigation menu is the First Name, not the username that I have posted about below, so I think I will leave it as is, and after the user has registered (with username/email & password) I can always update the users FIRST NAME as the Welcome text doesn't use the username, but the users FIRST NAME. I believe I have a way around this. I will post back just to update you on this. I do think however, i will want to limit the FIRST NAME to 8 characters as that still is the issue.

Is there a 'dirty trick' I can use to limit the amount of characters on the username input field on the account registration page? Again, the only reason for this is the login form I created, it just wouldn't look good with usernames like jimbo2918734 as that just wouldn't appear nice.

By 'dirty trick' I only mean without a customization.

Also, I believe I will also need to go into the ap->languages area, and create a new phrase (max characters 8), which will be shown on the account registration page next to the username input field. I would like to do that so only 8 characters will only be able to be entered in the username field, but leave the size of the field, just limit the characters that are able to be typed into it. Can someone please help me do that?

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 16, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Limit characters in AP or customisation. No other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahram Soltanirad View Post
    Limit characters in AP or customisation. No other way.
    Hello Bahram,

You say in AP or customization. Can you explain how to do by AP? I didn't see where I could adjust a setting for limiting characters.

Boy, do I feel dumb, I found the option, exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you Bharam!

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 16, 2019 at 04:59 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

Sorry, it was my mistake. Only customisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahram Soltanirad View Post
    Sorry, it was my mistake. Only customisation.
    Edit: I think I will find a solution around this, it's definitely NOT necessary, but it looks better if it were possible to keep users from having exceeding the characters for the greeting (ex: first & last names in their account). Ex: Not pushing the rest of the links in the navbar down below. I think I can resolve this issue. I know there is the option to limit the characters in the fields, I will look into that again with a clearer mind.

Well, I found in the AP->User Accounts->Registration Fields that I can in fact limit the field for first name to 8 characters, but I also need it for username field, but I don't have a username field, and would need help adding that. But once I have the username field, I can limit that to 8 characters as well. This is so that if someone creates a Buyer or Employer account, they will change the username (limited to only 8 characters) if some creates a Seller account they will change the First Name (also limited to only 8 characters). This is what I want because of the login form that I have greets the user and if the name is over 8 characters, it will go out of line.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Jester; March 25, 2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Thank you - Your Welcome
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread