+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to customise category/town searches on their own pages to allow better SEO

Guru
    John its probably not perfect but there is some code some where that tightens the search in tags and you will get it pretty close, I will dig it up and post for you.

I have been working on getting this to work. I had a few issues. Firstly I noticed that the new "/tag/.." web pages inheirit the title and descriptions from the parent page. This leads to many duplicates on the "/index?" pages. I resolved this by adding a line to robots.txt file.

Disallow: */tag/*/index*

This stopped that issue. Which was hurting my SEO.

The next issue is that the "cloud tag" is basically what the user enters into the "Keyword Search" window. Fair enough but it was showing many listings which were not from the entered town. For example I entered "apartment for sale in Malaga" and it showed many false listings. This turned out to be because the word "Malaga" was on many listings in the footer as I had a City Guide called that!

So, I am still working on it. There is a learning curve involved but yes it is a great way to create more targetted SEO. So thanks.

One issue is that I wanted to put the keywords into the H1 tag but cannot. I have tham in an H2 tag instead but this is not a strong as putting it into the H1. I have them in the title and description tags.
    Last edited by John Evans; January 21, 2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo

Pete. Thanks. It is great but I need to perfect how I use it. Note the robotos.txt fix. It could help you too. I was getting loads of duplicate titles and description all with /tag in them.

I only want to optimise specific tags. I turned off showing the actual cloud tag entries at the bottom of the page because this was causing "false positives" i.e. it thought lots of pages referred to my target cloud tag keyword when they did not they just displayed the tags. I think it is better to turn this off. I switched the "sticky" tag off on the Tag Cloud page.

I think is pretty good. I just needed a good way of adding SEO to property category plus town. This does that well.

Are you a bit of an SEO wizard? I have been working on my site but still low visitor levels.

Thanks, John
    Last edited by John Evans; January 21, 2019 at 01:51 PM.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by John Evans View Post
    Are you a bit of an SEO wizard? I have been working on my site but still low visitor levels.
    Thanks, John

Glad you are able to get it starting to work out, as to that question, all I can say is I am self taught over many, many years, and I really am not interested in expressing my thoughts here in that topic as I have been down that path of being open and wanting to work with people before on that subject and found myself being shot down by so called experts who in turn have nothing to offer in return.

for those reasons I dare tread those waters, what I will tell you is yes there are things that will help, you can start by downloading the flynax seo guide found in your account panel and keep in mind seo is only one of many methods to drive traffic so keep an eye on and build your social media and other marketing efforts alongside of your seo.

flynax gives you the tools to work with social media, just need to put the puzzle pieces together, one post on my site, then shared to social pulled me over 1000 unique visitors to my site in under 36 hours, and large numbers were a common thing and continually growing, so once you have it rocking, yes expect to see great results.

Pete, thanks. I know what you mean there are plenty of people who profess to be experts but lack any real experience. I am self-taught too but have been concentrating on getting my on-page SEO set up first and getting rid of the technical errors which were holding me back. I use Powersuite for Auditing my site and Rank Tracker for tracking my keyword performance. I have worked on my backlink profile and now have a Domain Authority of 30 so I should be getting more visitors than I am at present. That is amazing you got so many visitors from a single post. I have not had that kind of success yet. I have tried a few blogs but not that much in the way of visitors. I lack Face Book Likes on my pages and You tube channel too. It is hard to know where to direct my effort.

Guru
    check your pm box I sent some stuff.

Pete

Thanks. I now have the hang of the cloud tags. I really like them. I like the way they allow tags in multi languages too as my site has 10 languages!

I have an issue though, which I have raised with Support. Although I add titles and descriptions is all languages I noticed that the tag "cloud" bubble shown on my Home page always gets displayed in English, even when the visitor has switched to Spanish say? This makes no sense to me. Showing popular English searches to a Spanish visitor who may not speak or read English?

Still waiting for a response.

+ Reply to Thread