+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to customise category/town searches on their own pages to allow better SEO

How to customise category/town searches on their own pages to allow better SEO

I want to be able to create new pages customised to show all one category of property for sale or rent in one town only. This is to allow me to set up SEO specific to that category of property in that town. For example I want to create a new page for "Apartments for sale in Malaga". Is there a way I can do this? How?

I have saved "search URLs" and can call these on links embedded in HTML but:-

1) these don't allow me to save specific SEO tags (title, h1, desc etc)

2) these show a massive long URL instead of a brief one like "/property/apartment/Malaga" instead of "domain.com/properties/search-results.html" for all results.

Can anyone suggest how best to do this?
    Last edited by John Evans; January 19, 2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the links. I do use location fields such as country, region, town etc on individual listings and the SEO is good because of them. What I want to do is have result pages with these details on. The sites I was looking at have customised "result pages" for each town or area for each category. I have SEO on my categories butsay "apartment for sale or rent" is too generic to be of much use SEO wise. So I want a result page indexed for each set of results, villas for sale, townhouses for sale, apartments for rent but referencing the town. So if someone search for "apartment for sale in Madrid" they see those results listed but also a customised title,H1, description etc with "apartment" + "for sale" + "Madrid".

My competitors seem to have this and it gives them a better chance of being seen than I have. Can I customise the "search-results.html" page so that Google indexed each set of results separately using the different keywords I mention? Has anyone done this?
    Last edited by John Evans; January 19, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

Guru
    That's easy to do in a round abouts way, give me 2 secs

So I want a result page indexed for each set of results, villas for sale, townhouses for sale, apartments for rent but referencing the town. So if someone search for "apartment for sale in Madrid" they see those results listed but also a customised title,H1, description etc with "apartment" + "for sale" + "Madrid".
    No just incase I am wrong on what your thinking, sorry up front.

You want to index, "apartments for sale in Madrid" in google so when people type it they land on your search results for that term, and you want it all loaded with URL H1 Meta Data and a sprinkling of sugar yes ?

One way you can do this is by adding the tags plugin, now this plugin runs straight from the search section of your site, so understanding that you can in effect go in and create your own tags (search terms) in this case you would create a tag called "apartments for sale in Madrid" that tag will also let you add H1 and meta data the title of the tag would become the url.

This will if done right they would index in giggle and should rank high in giggle, so that when somebody searched that term up you would pop, complete with H1 and all meta etc and on click would bring then straight in on your search results on your site for that tag.

as above not sure if that what you wanted, but that should work well, of course allow for competition for those keywords.

your normal listings if done well should also show up in that mix with all of those details anyway
    Last edited by Pete Young; January 19, 2019 at 11:54 AM.

I have tried a number of approaches but they are not satisfactory. I created href links to captured “search” urls. This works, however, it is very bad from an seo viewpoint because each query inherits the title and description of the search pages. This means they show up as duplicates!

I need a method of achieving this but on separate pages so I can create unique tag content for each query.

The method should work for any town, area or province. I feel sure someone must have done this? Please help.
    Last edited by John Evans; January 19, 2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo

Which plugin are you referring to? The only one which I can find with the word tag in is the social media plugin. I dont think it can be this one? Is it the Tag Cloud plugin? I dont know how to set this up? Which tags would I need to add?
    Last edited by John Evans; January 19, 2019 at 08:09 PM.

Pete, I cannot find the tags plugin which you mean. It sounds like what I want. Can you send details please?

So would I need to add an new compount tag for each combination of property category plus location? So add “apartment for sale in Madrid” “villa for sale in Madrid” and so on? Would that create these new virtual pages? Is there any info on the set up? Can you point me to it please?

Guru
    Sorry John went to bed after I posted, I will give some links and show you shortly just need to pop out for a while.

This is the plugin here > https://www.flynax.com/plugins/tag-cloud.html

Some notes and not in order.

. Your default page (in pages and site results) for the tag cloud will be > tags page, this will resolve in giggle like this your tag name, << tag page - site name, which looks a bit crappy for both visual and seo purposes, so rename you page to some thing like ? apartments for sale in Madrid << Search Now, mysite.com.

. you do not have to have the tags box showing on your site and can just deactivate the box but I think showing one or two lines at the bottom of the page will help.

. yes you will need to manually edit / add the locations you want to index / build pages for

. it can seem that it might get confusing to keep clean but a general routine to clear out visitor searches will keep it clean.

. runs of the keyword search / search options found in your content boxes so should work together.

. video of a site decommissioned and no longer in use and as an example only, the video I did not take to time to put all settings correct, so allow for that, was just to show you. https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cqVq0K3YKx ? and I do not have any apartments listed in madid so it found none, you will see I also set a row of featured under the results for times when a blank is shown to give the visitor a destination / choice to click should that ever happen. I also had prenamed my tag page to popular searches, yours will say tag page or should.

. you would probably start with your top level or main locations and work your way down from there.

. best of luck.
    Last edited by Pete Young; January 20, 2019 at 12:11 AM.

Pete

Well, I had a go. I created a new tag page but it does not work properly sadly. I have "apartments for sale in Nerja" but when I visit the page displays not just apartments and not just from Nerja from other towns? How does the tag cloud plugin work out the query to run against the database in order to show the listings below? I must have missed a crucial point somewhere?

I assume that the "tag" "apartments for sale in Nerja" is used as a keyword search term and any listing which has any of those terms (even "for sale") will satisfy the criteria. That would explain why it shows villas for sale too?
    Last edited by John Evans; January 20, 2019 at 05:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread