+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove exipred listings and SEO

Remove exipred listings and SEO

Hello... There is an option in admin panel->Basic settings->Cron Jobs to remove expired listings after n days.
    I'd like to know if removing expired listings are useful or useless for SEO specifically in Google.
    If you have experience about it or read useful article, please share your mind with us.
    Also what is Flynax recommend for it.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bahram Soltanirad; August 15, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

Guru
    from memory there is a related setting to this, I will see if I can find it

Admin Panel > Basic Settings > Listings > Keep URLs of expired and removed listings alive for SEO purposes | enable disable | Enable the Trash Box to make it work for removed listings

So I would guess you would need this set / enabled, first of to make it happen, and because there is such a option it would at least go some way to giving weight to ongoing seo benefit.

From memory if people hit a link in giggle that is expired it takes them to the listing but no user details are shown from memory, but they are at least on your site and from there could make the option to further view your site.

Will be interesting to see what others do.

for me I auto delete expired listings after 90 days.
    Last edited by Pete Young; August 15, 2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    from memory there is a related setting to this, I will see if I can find it

Admin Panel > Basic Settings > Listings > Keep URLs of expired and removed listings alive for SEO purposes | enable disable | Enable the Trash Box to make it work for removed listings

So I would guess you would need this set / enabled, first of to make it happen, and because there is such a option it would at least go some way to giving weight to ongoing seo benefit.

From memory if people hit a link in giggle that is expired it takes them to the listing but no user details are shown from memory, but they are at least on your site and from there could make the option to further view your site.

Will be interesting to see what others do.

for me I auto delete expired listings after 90 days.
    Thanks Pete, when we use trash box, listings do not remove physically from database. They just get a trash status and they are still there in google search.
    If we remove them permanently, we'll get 404 not found in google webmaster for their links; but i don't know how it is important for SEO
    I heard about 410 response instead of 404, which tell to search engines, the links are not there anymore and they will remove the links from their index forever.
    Then which one is better, 404 or 410 and how we can implement 410 response in order to remove expired listings.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahram Soltanirad View Post
    Thanks Pete, when we use trash box, listings do not remove physically from database. They just get a trash status and they are still there in google search.
    If we remove them permanently, we'll get 404 not found in google webmaster for their links; but i don't know how it is important for SEO
    Hello Bahram, yes as you describe as above is how I understand it to work, with auto delete setting after x days (I will need to check) I do not think this places those listings into the recycle bin but rather deletes them for good, but as said I would need to double check this as I think only manually deleted listings end up in recycle.

in regards the 404 error I think that it is important knowing this that maybe we have some sort of message sorry or ooops type message that says this item no longer exists and click here to view similar items etc as an option.

to go deeper into your question there would be 101 further things to think of, being how a site is set up, and how well the ad was written in regards its ability to rank in the first place, most ads written would struggle to get to page 10 for even basic search terms a person placing an ad in general would not know the basics of writing the text to be seo friendly or rank in the first place, that said if your webmasters you could check expired urls for any that are not ranking well or at all and there would be minimal effect on any seo results / visitors coming to the site based on the poor page ranking and or meta data to produce a click through if it was ever found.

If on the opposite you had a listing that was ranked on page 1 and had a good ctr but was expired then it has some legs that it may be worth leaving, and that does not take into account the full overall benefit of incoming links if there was any to be had ? and I really do not want to go into the yes or no's on that other than people should make their own mind up on what works best for them.

I heard about 410 response instead of 404, which tell to search engines, the links are not there anymore and they will remove the links from their index forever.
    Then which one is better, 404 or 410 and how we can implement 410 response in order to remove expired listings.
    not sure on that one maybe flynax can answer that

Guru
    Bahram, wanted to go a little deeper into this without saying what is wrong and what is right, everybody has their own idea on this and it can be a touchy thing, to discuss your question further in regards is it worth it to leave a listing for SEO purposes?, as per my response above that really does depend on 101 things but at best and without any claims to anything there are some things to keep in mind.

First is the setup of your meta information for the listing in your site, and one important thing is your location as it will help with local search (see video) plus the meta title and description, and secondly is closely related and that is the wording used in the ad / keywords used, this is one thing that you are really not able to control in that a user places the ad and most people placing the ad has no real idea how to write a post to best effect to get rankings online.

That said if you have the basic page setup of meta title descriptions and locations etc it will go a long way to helping.

The next thing and it may or may not be related and I really do not care what people think in what's right or wrong but other activity around the page such as social media and or other types of promotion can or should help in some way to show giggle the popularity of a page and also assist it in the rankings. Take from it what you may and happy for others to chime in on this.

With the above in play, you can gain some good SEO outcomes in terms of your page rank on searches, and let me make it very clear for those SEO experts that know everything here, I claim to know nothing other than my own tests, and feel free to share you wisdom as I am happy to be told I do not know what I am doing and to learn from you.

Starting with a good backend in flynax and then adding a good listing in far as title, description and location goes here is a recent example of a post I made and its outcome so far.

After adding the listing the first thing I done was shared it to my facebook page, the result was after 12 hours on we are at over 800 views, 17 likes, 2 comments and 6 shares, that has increased since than to 1400 views 32 likes 4 comments and 8 shares and over 400 hits on my page, that's not a real lot but it does show me the future direction is good.

Next comes the SEO part for better words and if I take my title and add it to the search engine I am in number one spot

Vintage Arnotts Tin With Original Label Assorted Cream 6 3/4 Pounds. > 1 (page 1)

People then might say that's not how people search so I have altered the search terms for different outcomes with and without location (as below)

Vintage Arnotts Tin With Original Label Assorted Cream > 5 (page 1)

Vintage Arnotts Tin With Original Label > 13 (page 2)

Vintage Arnotts Tin > 15 (page 2)

Vintage Arnotts Tin With Original Label Assorted Cream prospect > 1 (page 1)

Vintage Arnotts Tin With Original Label prospect > 5 (page 1)

Vintage Arnotts Tin prospect > 8 (page 1)

Note: I understand every single person may get different results ;-)

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFjTVlqTvh

Bahram there are probably many other variants of this but above are just a few, now if we were to compound this across hundreds, thousands of listings then that would leave a great footprint in giggle, to that and again I think just thinking SEO without all of the other factors such as your initial set up, the way ads are written, how you then share the information, what platforms your promote / advertise all play a part in the bigger answer to your question.

As mentioned my current setting is set at to delete after 90 days of expire with the aim to have as many pages as above at any one time as above and to grow the number of pages doing this, and also to include and increase the number other external options.

I would love to explore further what happens after the 90 days, but I can take from this to now update my 404 page messaging to capture people that land on this page to look further into the site, that said would love if there are better ways and ways to do things to learn from the people here.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Young; August 25, 2018 at 01:13 AM.

Guru
    One more related quick update here, since posting the above I added another listing, and wanted to share the results.

Listing added with setup in flynax as explained above and then shared to social media > in the first 24 hours the following results.

1420 people reached

12 Likes

2 Comments

14 Shares

940 Page Visits - (Individual Visitors) as per page stats / Edit approx. 36 hours = 1000 + page visits

To add to that because of the page set -up There will be multiple page one / lower page results in the SEO that will continue to bring people to site as well as the social media options, The SEO side will be regardless for the next 6 months as I have a 90 Day listing set (even if they set it sold) and then a 90 day expiry. (? reading another post I see the days may not be quite accurate in delete time).

Now with day one with one post delivering 940 people to my site and then a good strong amount for another 180 days (6 months) it makes for a good outcome, imagine X this post by hundreds and thousands ? very possible, so to answer the question yes the SEO benefits are very much worth it, but I would like to hear from others on their insights and best ways.

I also see the results for that single page that I will be able to do 3X that by this time next year / ie around 3k visits for one post in one day / then times that by your hundreds and thousands.

I can also say that I am very sure that If I made some alterations to the way certain flynax plugins work that I could times that amount of traffic by another 10X plus again, but I will need to test these options further first before confirming.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFjte6qtjF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Young; August 27, 2018 at 12:38 PM.

Pete, thank you for saying your experiences about the topic. Yes, i agree with the effect of social media to convert a listing to popular.
    When a listing being popular, then probability it has a good rank in google, so it is not a good candidate to remove as expire.
    Then popularity is a key for not removing a listing. But how we can add popularity to the expired listing remove process.
    I have a discussion about cron job and expired listings in this post.
    http://forum.flynax.com/showthread.p...pired-listings
    I explained there, some problems i saw in the Cron job module regarding expired listings.
    So, i recommend adding popularity to remove module. The best and easy way is using views counter in the listings.
    At the database, the name is shows column in listings table. So we can easiliy add a new condition like this:
    If .... And shows < 20 then remove the expired listing
    20 days is an example . Flynax can add a parameter for it in admin panel. I will add the real code to mentioned post.
    Last edited by Bahram Soltanirad; August 28, 2018 at 03:50 AM.

Guru
    Hello Bahram, your questions open up even more questions in a way, and in some ways at this stage I am unsure that there is one correct answer and that there are possibly many variables to the questions and none are necessarily right or wrong.

Starting with your reference to the social media, yes it can be very powerful as seen in the latest experiment with 1,000 unique visitors within 36 hours is a massive jolt to be able to turn on at any time and at will.

I think what is important to understand with that, is that it all based on the initial site setup / SEO and works in direct relation to your initial question, as the results in the social side are more secondary with a very strong SEO / flynax setup / primary base. Without a good foundation it would be a lot harder to gain any sort of social media and in turn long term SEO benefits.

In regards a popular post having a good rank, I think it can carry some weight but to what extent I am not sure, but again as above the social is a secondary spin from the primary setting / SEO setup in your flynax site. With that said then a good primary set up combined with a good secondary social post may improve and combine to a better SEO experience.

With that and option to remove expired listings based on popularity / time factor may help retain posts that possibly have a higher SEO value to the site. That said a setting for a longer expire time for now would retain those higher performing posts in a SEO term and it would not need to rely on popularity as such, but I could see that yes the idea has some merit. That said a closer study of popularity and any SEO benefit would help understand it some more, in that for example if somebody posted some link bait to gain popularity on the presumption of a higher SEO benefit, but people had no staying power once they landed on the post, if the post itself did not cover the topic in far as search terms etc, and a whole range of things then the SEO value will be poor at best regardless of popularity on a site.

I am reasonably sure that an expired listing when set to auto delete does not land in the rubbish bin, so once it has been auto deleted, it is gone for good, you then have users who can delete their own listings, these will end up in recycle, so the question now remains, in that if you auto delete recycled listings at say 90 days, do we now need to go into the bin and delete and deleted listing over 90 days? to maintain the system, and how do we check popularity on these ?

Then is the popularity a true indicator ?

At this stage, I would be the first to say that I do not profess to be an expert, and that any SEO setting people have are better than none, and I really would rather keep an open mind to what everyone else says, and after that the proof really lies within the pudding.

Based on my own tests, yes set up your website as best you can for seo, and be prepared to experiment and see what works, what I can say with confidence is that I am able to land listings over multiple page 1 results in giggle with reasonable accuracy, in addition to this based on that SEO structure I am able to now with reasonable accuracy produce a secondary burst of traffic through social media, and it can be seen that is not chicken feed, 1,000 unique visits in a short time is getting things rolling, that's for one listing, one post.

What I am also very confident about is my future predictions, in that those numbers are just a baby start to where it will go as now it will be more about building out a stronger base, and I have no doubt that we will be able to hit in the many thousands of hits for one post, from there we can multiple the SEO benefits for at least 6 months or depending on your settings, I believe if you wanted to you can if you can do one post, that you could do 7 posts for example in a week and multiply that now into tens of thousand of visits and thousands upon thousands of SEO benefits.

I will also add that is only 2 channels, coming in and there are many, many other channels to bring in brining in many thousands a week, and I am at one last call 99% confident that if I edited a few of flynaxes plugins that I could get all of that above and times it by the power of 10 again.

But for now we have what we have, and while it is a good start, I feel there is so much work to do and I would love for all, to join in and put forward their ideas regardless of where we are or what we know, and or share what works best for them, and maybe then we can all benefit from each others work.

Bahram, I have been watching your work as well in this area / other post and thank you as well for that, maybe something can come of this work? lets hope so.

Pete

Hello Pete, Yes you right, popularity is not totally equivalent with the number of clicks and both of them are not perfect measurement for removing expired listing.
    But it is better than nothing. I believe the script is nearly good in SEO, but it is not good enough.
    About expired listings, many people do nothing about them and let them be there forever, and maybe this is better for SEO.
    But هin the other hand, probability there are listings ( i hope not too much) which have not good links in google's opinion.
    So we should or would try to find them and remove them.
    Flynax process is so simple about it. You define 90 days in admin panel and that's it. I am trying to add other parameters to selecting better candidates for removing.
    Perhaps somebody believe, we should not remove featured expired, just removing free expired. It is not relate to SEO but encourage people to add featured listings.
    About your famous 90 days , as i already said, contrary to your imagination, it is not 90 days after listing expired, but it is 90 days after cron send email notification to user. If i am wrong, please you or flynax correct me.
    I will post to my another thread about it soon in http://forum.flynax.com/showthread.p...pired-listings
    Last edited by Bahram Soltanirad; August 29, 2018 at 04:10 AM.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahram Soltanirad View Post
    About your famous 90 days , as i already said, contrary to your imagination, it is not 90 days after listing expired, but it is 90 days after cron send email notification to user. If i am wrong, please you or flynax correct me.
    [/URL]
    Not sure it famous, it is just the setting I use, (perhaps there is a better way?) and yes I read your post and acknowledged that you had found this error in I think the previous post, and agree at best the number of days was a rough guide based on your findings.
    (? reading another post I see the days may not be quite accurate in delete time).
    But it is better than nothing. I believe the script is nearly good in SEO, but it is not good enough.
    Yes I agree and mentioned this has some merit
    but I could see that yes the idea has some merit.
    But هin the other hand, probability there are listings ( i hope not too much) which have not good links in google's opinion. So we should or would try to find them and remove them.
    not sure if there is not a good link that would be generated even if they rank low, but not sure how one would go about sorting all of that ? you can check most things in webmaster, but not real sure if there is a point where things are over thought ?

What I do like is the discussion in regards what are some of the best things to do, that has to be a positive.

+ Reply to Thread