+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question Related to Categories Issue

Hi Pete

Thanks for your replies, okay so this is now what i am wanting do so forget my first post about this issue since i already know Flynax script will not allow for 2 categories of the same name.

The plan is to install all of ebay categories system (which i have already) into my version of Flaynax then use the category specifics for each of those categories (which i have) and use the specifics only for the listing page option like you would by using ebay so you would have like my example below.

Example: I list a Apple Phone i would fill in details as normal but on the listing main page where you would fill in the title, description and other info you would also have the option to select which Apple IPhone model it is like IPhone 6 16GB, IPhone 5 16GB, IPhone 7 64GB info like that just as you would on the ebay selling page or even like in the motors section where you select air con, power windows.

I would like to know how i would set this up using the listing fields or any other method in Flynax hope i have not babbled too much in this post...

Thanks
    David

Guru
    sure can give a demo but of for a kip now but will post an example over the weekend for you.

Hi Pete

That's great if you could do this as it will help loads, your a star....

Guru
    David, this is just one way to add List fields, others may have a better way.

First I always start where possible / if required with a Data Entry. this allows me to use a alpha sort and to easily add or remove items over and above just using a listing field and will also allow me to create multi level if or when i need to. Note some listing types will not use a Data entry such as dates, text etc, but in this case I want to use a drop down.

after the data entry is created, you can then connect that to a listing field, and from there if you ever need to you can create a multi level (as many levels as you like ) * add multi level plugin for this.

so for my example I created Period Test Listing Field in this way

Period test
    Pre 1900 - data Entry / List field
    Post 1900 - data Entry / List field
    1901 - 1910 - multi level
    1911 -1920 - multi level

you can see the quick vid I have done to show you below, also nte when using listing feilds etc always use the key as the name you want to use that is because the url will use the lf key not the title (which is an error in flynax that has not been fixed that I know of) if now not you will end up with bad urls (maybe do a few tests and you will see if it is still there) for me its just habbit now. http://forum.flynax.com/showthread.p...=listing+field seems the problem is with field bound boxes so if your using them thats where a problem might be with the url.

https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFfh36DKez

always edit / add / remove in the data entry to make it easy, using it this way you can build just about anything.

when adding the fields to your add listing page you would add

Period Test
    Circa

as an example (that second level listing field when it was created would have had a name ? Period Test Level 1 or similar you just need to find it and rename to Circa or whatever you want.

just do a few test runs and when deleting just delete LF first (delete master LF that deletes chid LF's) then data entry and all else should be good.

yell out if not sure still.
    Last edited by Pete Young; April 6, 2018 at 06:23 AM.

Guru
    forgot to add, now that you have your list fields, you can add them the same way to your search and or filter options on the side of the category pages

Period test
    Circa

this will then let visitors use those options when searching or filtering

Hi Pete

Wow that's all i can say as well as thank you for your info on this, i did read and watch the video however keep in mind that there well over 900,000 category specifics for these ebay categories and trying to input these using your method i think would take a very long tine to do.

Is there another way of implementing this into the site or even via using an import plugin?

Thanks
    David

Guru
    not sure David if there is a quick way about any of it, the list fields would be used sparingly as you would categories for the majority, as to a quick way ? all I can think of is build the top level, then as demand grows in each category build out the lower levels, this way you categories will always be full.

sorry could not help further. others may be able to offer up some help as to the best options.

Hay Pete

Yeah i am going to have to dig more into this then as it will be a shame to waste all of the category specifics on this project, if it can be done with the motors sections then surely it can be done with the for sale section too.

Guru
    The one thing worth thinking about is to remember regardless of what you do is when adding those categories keep in mind that you will also need to at the same time add the category SEO options and also the listings / page SEO options, if you just slam in the categories and forget these things when developing them, you will need to go back and do this all over again doubling or tripling up on the time in those locations during development.

As for getting it all to work / cat specifics etc ? there is nothing really that can not be done, so im not sure why you are stuck, do you have a small example of what your struggling with that you can post

Hi Pete

I am currently at the stage of creating the categories file ready to import using the category import export plugin and that's almost done as we are just running some final tests with it. You mentioned about the category SEO options and also the listings / page SEO options where is this as it's not in the import/export plugin for categories?

As far as the category specifics goes i was thinking along the same lines as what was done for motors sections where you have options to select things like electric windows, CD Player, Satnav you get my drift, so adding the specifics to the for sale section where users can select colour type in clothing, iphone model in phones category or even xbox 360 model type under games consoles category this is my idea now.

Cheers

+ Reply to Thread