+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question Related to Categories Issue

Go to admin folder/controllers/categories.inc.php
    Find:
    Code:
    Only registered members can view the code.
    Change to:
    Code:
    Only registered members can view the code.
    It is temporary solution until flynax explain about this limitation.

@Bahram Soltanirad

Thank you for your support in this issue, so i tried your temporary solution and this is the result of it below.

1, I was able to create the other category that i wasn't able to before ie Pre-1900 which was great but i got an error when trying to access the url.

2, The error was once you access that new page get a Red error message: ERROR 404: Requested page not found.

3, Then a message on that page saying: We're sorry but the page you're looking for doesn't exist.
    You may have mistyped something or the page was removed; please check the URL and try again.

4, Here is the url it created but remeber this was only a test and i put the Pre-1900 here for testing purposes: https://www.xxxxxxxx.com/classifieds.../pre-1900.html

But if the url was in Antiques category then the Pre-1900 url would be correct.

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Mundle View Post
    But if the url was in Antiques category then the Pre-1900 url would be correct.
    What do you mean?

Also try this and let me know the result.

Admin panel -> listing types -> classifieds edit and uncheck Enable .html at the end of URLs option.

Then refresh the page and you should have URL like this https://www.xxxxxxxx.com/classifieds.../pre-1900
    without .html at the end.

Wow disabling the .html has worked a treat doing that change so great work and thank you for that.

Now one last thing i do still .html at the end of all previous urls from default script but the one i created is showing fine why? And removing .html from urls will this cause a issue with SEO in the future or not?

Thanks

Actually, it should not show 404 error at both case, with or without .html at the end. i will look at it later on saturday.
    i do still .html at the end of all previous urls from default script but the one i created is showing fine why?
    Maybe they are from different categories. you should remove ,html for all listing types.
    And removing .html from urls will this cause a issue with SEO in the future or not?
    No, I don't think so. It is just a taste, a manner.

@Bahram Soltanirad

As you can see the Bracket Clocks has the options to select either Post-1900 or Pre-1900 , in the other case Longcae/Grandfather Clocks has the same options to select either Post-1900 or Pre-1900 as well but as you can see from the images we are not able to create these Post-1900 or Pre-1900 again for Longcae/Grandfather Clocks as an answer also?

We need to find out how we can do this if possible because this issue of some categories having the same answer to different questions will come up again, we want to be able to assign the same answer to different categories like Post-1900 or Pre-1900 once it's been created or find another way how to do this please.

2017-11-12_2226.jpg2017-11-12_2237.jpg

Hello Guys

So i am going to use the ebay category system for my site and i have all the category specifics for each category which is over 900,000 of them and want to use these for the listing an ad page what's the best way to add them for each category?

Thanks
    David

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mundle View Post
    @Bahram Soltanirad

As you can see the Bracket Clocks has the options to select either Post-1900 or Pre-1900 , in the other case Longcae/Grandfather Clocks has the same options to select either Post-1900 or Pre-1900 as well but as you can see from the images we are not able to create these Post-1900 or Pre-1900 again for Longcae/Grandfather Clocks as an answer also?

We need to find out how we can do this if possible because this issue of some categories having the same answer to different questions will come up again, we want to be able to assign the same answer to different categories like Post-1900 or Pre-1900 once it's been created or find another way how to do this please.

Attachment 2609Attachment 2610
    just seen this, the answer probably lies in using listing fields for these not categories, in you example to get the extra level you would need to add more categories to show up under where you want them to be, this would make things messy

by using listing fields above categories for post 1900 or pre 1900 you will avoid the messy categories and the pre or post can be applied to category of clock and or can be used site wide regardless of category and then also can be used as a filter or search option in the side of page to filter those options.

Hi Pete

What i am not thinking is that i want to use the category specifics in the listing page as we as any search so your saying that we would need create listing fields to do this then is that correct?

Cheers

Guru
    Hello David can you clarify your question please ? not saying that you need to do anything, just an option.

Where you have a category per se > pre 1900 that is repeated many times for multiple parent categories it may be better to create a listing field, that is then only created one not multiple times.

your question
    the reason you can not create those 2 options is that those categories have not been built for the Longcae/Grandfather Clocks category, so if you wanted them to be there you would need to add those to categories to that category.

this would end up with not only clocks needing those 2 categories being built at the bottom of every category but i would guess it would need to e be built for pictures, or glass ware, kithenalia and the list would go on where possibly you would need to build hundreds of categories called pre 1990 or the like

to save building 100's and even 1,000's of categories with the same name, you can build 1 listing field call circa or time or what ever you wanted and add that one listing field to all categories.

these LF can be then used in what ever way you need/ in search, in seo, in filter the same as ebay filters and so on.

people would select the antique clock section, from there they can pick a sub category or filter for all categories with clocks pre 1900 for example, then if the want they could pick the grandfather section and all grandfather cocks pre 1900 would show etc.

back to you question though, if you can explain a little more happy to answer better for you.

Others may have another idea that could work better.

+ Reply to Thread