+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question Related to Categories Issue

Angry Question Related to Categories Issue

Hello Guys

Since i am in the UK we have always followed ebay categories system as most people are use to this now and we came across an issue with the Flynax categories system.

So we tested adding categories from admin today since the (category/import plugin is still not working) and found out that we cannot add url that contain numbers? Example we tried to add a new category called Pre-1900 so from the customer side it would look like Antiques/Antique Clocks/Bracket Clock/Pre-1900/Vintage

Now here is the issue, every time we try and create the category for Pre-1900 we get following error message: Unfortunately, URLs ending with digits aren’t allowed; please consider using only letters.
    Last edited by David Mundle; November 7, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

Did the Flynax devs miss this one, can anyone explain this please?

Hello Guys

Since i am in the UK we have always followed ebay categories system as most people are use to this now and we came across an issue with the Flynax categories system.

So we tested adding categories from admin today since the (category/import plugin is still not working) and found out that we cannot add url that contain numbers? Example we tried to add a new category called Pre-1900 so from the customer side it would look like Antiques/Antique Clocks/Bracket Clock/Pre-1900/Vintage

Now here is the issue, every time we try and create the category for Pre-1900 we get following error message: Unfortunately, URLs ending with digits aren’t allowed; please consider using only letters.

It seems, they restrict using hyphen followed by a number as ending URL, like -1900 or -0 or -n when n is a number.
    Why!?... i could not find any reasonable reason for that.
    Perhaps there is limitation from google for indexing such URLs, or for SEO limitation from google...and maybe by mistake!.
    Flynax members should answer. But for now, you can use Pre1900 or something like that.

Hi

Thanks for your reply, what i am trying to get is this as an example: https://www.xxxxxxxx.com/classifieds/antiques/antiques clock/pre-1900/Vintage.html
    That is a example url, now in admin i am able to create all names in that url except pre-1900 when creating the categories as steps as is keeps throwing that error message.

Once on the post ad page you would then select each like this for this category: antiques/antiques clock/pre-1900/Vintage
    Ebay and other sites also show pre-1900 in there urls so i don't see why it's an issue with Flynax.

Guru
    You can use listing fields for the Period / Circa and by doing that your category structure would look like

https // www.xxxxxxxx.com/classifieds/antiques/antiques clock/Vintage .html

they would then dial up the required circa ect from the side panel to see all clocks pre 1900 for example.

? although that path looks wrong I am gussing it is an example only because you would not have antique clocks followed by the word vintage ?

/classifieds/antiques/clocks.html

or

/classifieds/clocks.html with a dial up listing field of periods / circa's or retro vintage antique ect.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pete Young; November 7, 2017 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks pete i'll look into that ASAP then, one question if i understood you correctly then if i am posting a new ad for say antique clocks/pre-1900 for example i would not be able to select pre-1900 for a listing category as the Flynax system will not allow me to create Pre-1900

So your saying just create Pre-1900 in the listing fields section and this will give the poster of an ad the option to select Pre-1900 or not? Or will it just be for user frontend search.

Thanks
    David

Hello Guys

To the Flynax Team Viktor and any else how can we add categories that contain numbers in the url as part of our category system that we want to setup? Currently when ever we try to create a category for an example called Pre-1900 or Post-1900 we always get the following error message in admin: Unfortunately, URLs ending with digits aren’t allowed; please consider using only letters.

Can this code be changed to allow for numbers/digits in urls?

I do need an answer on this ASAP as we cannot anything else our site until we know.

Thanks

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mundle View Post
    Thanks pete i'll look into that ASAP then, one question if i understood you correctly then if i am posting a new ad for say antique clocks/pre-1900 for example i would not be able to select pre-1900 for a listing category as the Flynax system will not allow me to create Pre-1900

So your saying just create Pre-1900 in the listing fields section and this will give the poster of an ad the option to select Pre-1900 or not? Or will it just be for user frontend search.

Thanks
    David
    yes both the user and front end can do this that is correct.

there are many benefits of using a a listing field, in that you eliminate multiple unneeded categories, or if you like build out a sub category at a later date if the category gets to big.

for example if correct your category structure would look something like this

/classifieds/home/decor/clocks

or something similar from there you can set up a periods listing field (this alone will save countless categories)

and that listing field will have

19th Century 1801 - 1900
    20th Century 1901 - 2000
    21st Century 2001 - now

and you can go back before that, you can also add styles as well if people wish to use those at this same level so now you have for example

19th Century 1801 - 1900
    20th Century 1901 - 2000
    21st Century 2001 - now
    Art Deco 1910 - 1940
    Art Nevau 1890 - 1910
    Retro
    Vintage - 25 + Years

It really is your choice what you do here, but you can see by building this way you have avoided multiple categories, and especially at the start most would be empty so ths way the category will fill better.

What you do now is build a multi level listing fied and under each one of those is another select level. For example

Under 19th Century 1801 - 1900 you would have decades such as

19th Century 1801 - 1900
    > C 1801 - 1810
    > C 1811 - 1820
    > C 1821 - 1830
    etc...

and lets say under Art Deco 1910 - 1940 you would have

Art Deco 1910 - 1940
    > C 1901 - 1910
    > C 1911 - 1920
    > C 1921 - 1930
    > C 1931 - 1940

the choices are yours and you really do not need build this set up for every category you make, you simply build this once and apply it to every category, for example it could apply to clocks, furniture, glass, and what ever categories you add to your site.

Maybe do a small test and see if you like the way it works, if you don't like it build out cats, but one reason I think numbers are not allowed in the url is flynax uses numbers as url id's if you look at any flynax listting url you will always see the listing number, this may be the reason you having trouble with numbers in the url.

Thanks Pete this will be a great help i am sure once i figure it out, it's just a same that it cannot be done via categories system.
    I was also thinking that doing it your way i suppose we could use the listing field section as category specifics as such maybe?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread