Thread: Company Name Field Priority

Threaded View

Hi Pete Young,

As I said Flynax is not perfect so I highlighted a point/bug/fix to them so they can analyze and make software better/flexible for all... if needed... without doing these "workaround".

Please allow them look into the matter.

NOTE: I have done all these workaround months ago. So give me a chance to make a suggest. If they see it beneficial to all users and not me only I am sure they will at some point implementing it.

Priority Field Display <- Do you think this request is a waste of time or an unreasonable request?

There are 3 ways to fix this issue.

1. Get rid of First_Name and Last_Name Field and use only one Field - Display Name (Concatenate required for live websites - not good for future development)
    2. Change First_Name Field to Display Name and Disable Last_name Field. (Concatenate required for live websites and deletion of data in Last_name field - not good for future development)
    3. Keep all fields First_Name, Last_Name, Company_name and assign priority Display Order for user to choose which name to display. (click of a button - Perfect for future development)

Out of the box Flynax comes with First_name, Last_name, Company Name which are all critical fields so I choose option 3 which is most flexible for long term and short term administration.

With your suggestion which I have done many times as test...

1. In the existing and live website database you will need to concatenate first_name and last_name to make your new display_name field.
    (Your solution is good for initial setup and hoping your structure will not change).

2. In the future if you want to revert to a First name, Last_name basis and separate Company Name you will need to go again and try separate the First_Name from Last_Name which u have concatenated also identify which name is company name different from a First_Name Last_Name.

The aim is:

When a client register as Dealer the company name must be shown as priority although the user fills the First Name, Last Name and Company Name Field (This is not so in current Flynax setup).

All 3 fields are critical to have with out workaround.

So option 3 fix will give the software administration the flexibility to choose depending on the need or marketing in their country or user choice.

Do your understand now?

My question to you is 3 years from now you want to restructure your website to use First Name, Last Name and not Display name what will you do?

It is not possible but a lot of work with your setup. However, with the request I made it is less than 3 secs.
    Last edited by Errol; May 30, 2017 at 12:57 AM.