+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEO problems

Guru

SEO problems

I checked today using site:mysite keywords and not one of my listings are showing up for any search terms, they do show up later under the website name but nothing as a search term.

If any one knows of where to find the latest seo guide that would be great.

But for now I found a few problems

1. site xml exporting in http not https (found a fix in forum questions) EDIT / BIG ERROR HERE > when you do this any existing listing that are listed in all viewers in your admin panel disappear and you are unable to view any of them to edit make changes or anything, they simply disappear? maybe this step is not required ?

EDIT: from tests so for this does not look like it will make much impact but still undecided on this

2. my xml is full of unused hidden and non active categories ? I have read some things in posts but they are old posts, so not sure if they apply to 4.5.2 ? so how do I get rid of these ?

EDIT: yes get rid of crap in your xml

3. I managed to read about adding information to the htaccess file if you uploaded xml, so I checked this, It seems that it has added the bottom 3 rows of data to the file automatically ? but they are there. But the first part of the update says to find

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.html)$ [NC]
    with
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.html|\.xml|\.txt)$ [NC]

Now on looking none of these options are in the htaccess file at all, both are missing / non existent ? so my question is, should it be in there and if so where should it be ? and is this causing none of my listing to be listed with google or are there other problems I need to be aware of ?

thanks
    Pete

\/ EDIT: flynax have not updated not and new versions do not need worry about this as it is already taken care of

Install the plugin
    Replace the string in .htaccess file:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.html)$ [NC]
    with
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.html|\.xml|\.txt)$ [NC]
    Add a new rule to the bottom of .htaccess file:
    #Google and Yahoo sitemap
    RewriteRule ^sitemap([0-9]*)?.xml$ /plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=google&number=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^yahoo-sitemap.txt$ /plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=yahoo [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^urllist.txt$ /plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=urllist [QSA,L]
    Last edited by Pete Young; March 16, 2017 at 11:08 PM.

Sitemap Plugin 2.2.0
    Flynax Software Version 4.5.2

Not sure if i understand you but this is what i have in my htaccess file

# Google and Yahoo sitemap
    RewriteRule ^([a-z_]*)?sitemap([0-9]*).xml$ plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=google&number=$2&mod=$1 [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^yahoo-sitemap.txt$ /plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=yahoo [QSA,L]
    RewriteRule ^urllist.txt$ /plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=urllist [QSA,L]

Guru
    Yes Errol, I have exactly the same but the top part is missing (in bold) maybe it does not need to be there any more ? if not why then are none of my listing creating a search, something is wrong ?

thanks for checking

Pete

I dont have the top part in mine either...

Look again closely at my code

-> ^([a-z_]*)? <- is missing from yours maybe you want to try placing this inside and see if it makes a difference to your problem

LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS SYNTAX -> RewriteRule ^([a-z_]*)?sitemap([0-9]*).xml$ plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=google&number=$2&mod=$1 [QSA,L]

with the https errors i suggest to send a ticket to flynax technical team

where do I find
    Sitemap.xml

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Errol View Post
    I dont have the top part in mine either...

Look again closely at my code

-> ^([a-z_]*)? <- is missing from yours maybe you want to try placing this inside and see if it makes a difference to your problem

LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS SYNTAX -> RewriteRule ^([a-z_]*)?sitemap([0-9]*).xml$ plugins/sitemap/sitemap.php?search=google&number=$2&mod=$1 [QSA,L]
    Hi Errol, yes mine is the same as yours the code I pasted was from the guide as listed by flynax. It seems that they have not updated their guide ?

Guru
    you download it from plugins or through your admin panel and to how to see it > yoursite.com/sitemap.xml

it dosn't exist
    how can I create it

I download it through admin panel.

You dont need to create sitemap.xml the plugin takes care of it.
    when a request is sent to your website for -> example.com/sitemap.xml <- although sitemap.xml does not exist physically on your website the plugin dynamically knows how to deliver that resource.

+ Reply to Thread