+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I assign 1 category to multiple listing types?

Exclamation Can I assign 1 category to multiple listing types?

My Website is dedicated for Car ads, where you can sell/buy or rent NEW or USED cars.
    I wanted to build different submit forms for (New - Used - Rent), but I found it impossible you have the choice to build only one submit form for each category regardless it is new, used or for rent.

So i need to assign the Categories (Brands and models in my case) to multiple listing types, instead of re-entering all the categories again for each Listing type and more database usage of course.

Is this possible or not?????

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Akram El-sobky View Post
    but I found it impossible you have the choice to build only one submit form for each category regardless it is new, used or for rent.?
    Can you give a quick example of what you have / want to do, because you can build different submit forms for each category / so one for a new category a different submit form for a used category an another for a rent category ? so not sure where you have gone wrong at this stage ?

categories are assigned to listing types,but not to multiple listings types, but I doubt you will need separate listing types and you are better to use of 3 categories that would be under the one listing type.

As an example you could set up something like this.

Classifieds (Listing Type)
    > New Cars - Master Category
    > Used Cars - Master Category
    > Rental Cars - Master Category

This setup would allow for different submit forms / options as the submit form is built at category level and as such all 3 can be different.

As above if you can give an example then we can give a better answer.

Hey Pete,
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    What I need to have in my site is:
    1- When you publish an ad for a NEW car, you get a form with a lot of details including HP, torque, Suspension, etc....
    2- When you publish an ad for a USED car, you get a form with some not all of the details in form no.1
    3- When you publish and ad for RENT car, you get a form like form no.2, but a RENT period is in it.

All previous share same categories (which are car makes and models in my case), so what is the best solution you think?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Akram El-sobky View Post
    Hey Pete,
    Thank you for your prompt reply.
    What I need to have in my site is:
    1- When you publish an ad for a NEW car, you get a form with a lot of details including HP, torque, Suspension, etc....
    2- When you publish an ad for a USED car, you get a form with some not all of the details in form no.1
    3- When you publish and ad for RENT car, you get a form like form no.2, but a RENT period is in it.

All previous share same categories (which are car makes and models in my case), so what is the best solution you think?

Thank you in advance for your support.
    Hello Akram, When using flynax you have 2 options when setting up the the listing fields, they are 1. that you assign one master category and you then just edit that one master category with changes to listing fields and it updates the entire system which is probably set that way from default.

You can also if you wish edit these on a single or category by category option, this will take more work but once set give you control over each category, to do this leave your set up how you have it then for each category follow the following.

* Admin CP > Categories > Browse > Category > Build the Category > Listing Form Builder (this should be selected by default)

What you should see is an empty box under forms that says (Drop the groups and fields here), and to the right of that some green listing groups and to the right again some orange listing fields.

If so you then can now organise you own form for this category / you can start by dragging some groups over into the blank section, and from there drag some fields over into the groups, and or if you want fields can be placed outside of a group.

If a group is not there that you want you can create a new one from your admin panel

* Admin CP > Listings > Listing Groups, and the same applies with listing fields, with these options there are no limitations as to what can be set for each category, at the start just drag a few over and in a test mode go to add a listing to that category and you will see the changes. Once you have completed one category as you want it, you can go to the next category and set up a differnt form as to your needs and so on.

Note | given that you are over riding the master system you may also need to click in the other form builders and rebuild those as well, they will be the title, short and feature forms as these may be affected ? You would think if they were blank that they would feed from the master ? maybe another forum member can comment more on this ?

If you are unsure what should be in there located the master category first and have a look inside of each form and record the details then duplicate those forms in your update. If you are unsure what the master category is go to your listing type page and scroll about half way down and you will see what category is selected as the master and I think a link to edit from there ?

see how you go with that any questions yell out.
    Last edited by Pete Young; July 10, 2016 at 03:06 AM.

Dear Pete,

Thank you again, I tried everything before I receive your detailed message, if I waited to receive it I would have not lost so much time trying.

But actually the final result is "IF YOU NEED DIFFERENT FORMS FOR THE SAME CATEGORY YOU SHOULD DUPLICATE THE CATEGORY AND ASSIGN IT TO A DIFFERENT LISTING TYPE"
    So I'll be working on duplicating the Categories and assign them to a different listing type.

Beside this issue I have a problem with google maps as it doesn't appear on my website any suggestions?

Thank you again

Guru
    Cant help with maps, seems a common problem, submit a ticket,

iF YOU NEED DIFFERENT FORMS FOR THE SAME CATEGORY YOU SHOULD DUPLICATE THE CATEGORY AND ASSIGN IT TO A DIFFERENT LISTING TYPE"
    ? not sure about that, again you would not need different listing types ? where did you get this information from as it seems in correct or at best a long complicated / way around what you need ?

Forms are built at category level not listing type level and as such adding 100 or 1 listing types will have no impact of how forms are made for each category.

based on the information you have given you can set up this using one listing type ?

Classifieds (Listing Type)
    > New Cars - Master Category - When you publish an ad, you get a form with a lot of details including HP, torque, Suspension, etc....
    > Used Cars - Master Category - When you publish an ad, you get a form with some not all of the details in form no.1
    > Rental Cars - Master Category - When you publish and ad, you get a form like form no.2, but a RENT period is in it.
    Last edited by Pete Young; July 10, 2016 at 04:23 AM.

Pete,

I believe I got your point, I will test this and give you the feedback.
    Thank you,

Pete,

I did it and it is working great, I really appreciate your help.
    Only one issue pending, I have now 3 Listing Types (NEW, USED and RENT) and I created 3 new Categories (Form Used, Form New and Form Rent) and build the forms on them and assigned them as General Category for each Listing Type.
    Ok, everything is fine but the new categories are shown in the select boxes, and I made them Locked so they appear as in the picture attached, can i make them invisible??
    Untitled-1.jpg

Guru
    First glad it has worked ? but I am a little confused as to what has has worked and how, but try and set the category to inactive if what you have done is made a master category for each listing type ?

I do not know if making the category inactive will still allow it to act as a master category but give it a go.

+ Reply to Thread