+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users

Question about Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users

Hi

I have noticed that if:

Unchecked -> Create an individual page for this type of account.
    Checked -> Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users

The sub directory of domain.com/user1 will not work.
    If I:

Checked -> Create an individual page for this type of account.
    Unchecked -> Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users

The sub directory of domain.com/user1 will work any way.

Is this normal?

Is there anyone else having the same problem?
    Or only me?

Guru
    You could try using one of the demo sites and see if it happens there ? http://www.flynax.com/demos.html

You saying they are back to front.

Cant really help as for my accounts i have either both ticked or none ticked
    New Site: CameraSpecs https://bit.ly/3G4uYA6

Old Site: MotorAdsUk

Guru
    What I can say after doing some testing is what not to try, after trying to set the user to have a sub directory but no page (which also does not work) is i set the wildcard to off in that testing, now all business users that had sub domains is broken, and non of the links work to all listings etc for those users, and even though wildcard is turned back on that all URLs are sub domains and the initial registration where people log in although set to choose sub directory will not work, and in effect everything is broken and back in the workshop for repair, so if you have these things set, do not touch them unless your ready for more errors. (I am sure it will be fixed but it is just a little painful)
    Last edited by Pete Young; September 12, 2014 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Young View Post
    What I can say after doing some testing is what not to try, after trying to set the user to have a sub directory but no page (which also does not work) is i set the wildcard to off in that testing, now all business users that had sub domains is broken, and non of the links work to all listings etc for those users, and even though wildcard is turned back on that all URLs are sub domains and the initial registration where people log in although set to choose sub directory will not work, and in effect everything is broken and back in the workshop for repair, so if you have these things set, do not touch them unless your ready for more errors. (I am sure it will be fixed but it is just a little painful)
    It is good to know this. Thank you for sharing with us

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Hong View Post
    Hi

I have noticed that if:
    Checked -> Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users
    The sub directory of domain.com/user1 will not work.
    If I:
    Is this normal?
    First of my last post I wrote that changing things caused errors, the truth is there were no errors just my mis understanding of how things worked, So after days of crash and burn some insight to help others but also answer the OP's question.

Wei Hong, what you wrote is correct and how things work, it does not explain very well in the guide so will expand.

First you wrote
    Checked -> Allow own Sub-directory for this account type users The sub directory of domain.com/user1 will not work.
    this is true because to have a sub directory there needs to be a URL to that sub directory which can only be had if there is a page or destination for that sub directory / URL and with no page it can not exist or work.

Next you wrote
    Is this normal?
    and the answer to this question is yes this is normal for this reason in that because you have created a page for this user type then by default the system will auto generate a sub directory based on the user name so the page in effect works.

So what you are doing / is happening is correct.

To expand on how everything works there are 3 main parts in admin cp to look at and they are

Common > Configurations > Accounts
    User Accounts > Account Type
    Content > Pages

In the first one ((Common > Configurations > Accounts)) look for the enable wildcard option, if this is not enabled you will create sub directories (mysite.com/subdirectory) or if it is enabled you will create sub domains (subdomain.mysite.com) so by selection enabled or disabled you switch between types.

Next in ((User Accounts > Account Type)) there are 3 options under settings > add listings, Create Page, Allow Own Sub Directory (or sub domain dependent on step one above). What happens here is if you have create page selected then dependent one step one a sub domain or sub directory will be created by default using the user name of the person registering. With the last option Allow own sub directory or domain if this is checked then instead of the auto allocation the person registering gets to choose their own sub domain or directory.

Last in ((Content > Pages)) if you want to even with the create page checked you can choose to unchecked this from the site menu and have it hidden or choose to show the page, in both cases everything will work.

So as an example i could have this set up

Common > Configurations > Accounts
    Disable > Wildcard Domain

User Accounts > Account Type
    Yes > Add Listings
    Yes > Create Page
    No > Allow Sub Directory

Content > Pages
    Unchecked > Sellers

> With the wildcard option disabled you will have the sub directory option working (mysite.com/subdirectory)
    and because you have chosen to create a page by default but have left the allow sub directory unchecked the system will auto create the subdomain based on the user name Lastly the option to hide the page from the menu is your choice.(hiding the page would fix your first part of your question where you wanted a sub diretory but no visable page)
    Last edited by Pete Young; September 16, 2014 at 03:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread