+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Search by distance

Quote Originally Posted by Petrache Nicolae View Post
    i do realise as well that flynax needs to release incomplete and buggy addons/script becouse let's be honest, you make money from fixing/making them functioning as they should from the beginning. If you would do them properly from begining, your incomes will be reduced...
    Petrache, why you always trying to vilify us? Maybe you are some kind of spy on our forum?
    Now again, I have to reply your "black" post to explain the issue to all other members of the forum.

We never reject really good customer ideas, ideas which will be helpful for all.
    But why we should add to the plugin each idea, for example one may say:
    - I want also price field to be added to the search by distance plugin and make this block in header.
    - I want category and country to be added to the block and make it green because I have green template.
    ... and so on, countless examples.

We don't want to make our plugins garbage of unnecessary features.

You are really helpful in testing and ideas, thank you for that. But one day we will deactivate your forum account if you will continue
    posting your throughs this way.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Petrache, why you always trying to vilify us? Maybe you are some kind of spy on our forum?
    Now again, I have to reply your "black" post to explain the issue to all other members of the forum.

We never reject really good customer ideas, ideas which will be helpful for all.
    But why we should add to the plugin each idea, for example one may say:
    - I want also price field to be added to the search by distance plugin and make this block in header.
    - I want category and country to be added to the block and make it green because I have green template.
    ... and so on, countless examples.

We don't want to make our plugins garbage of unnecessary features.

You are really helpful in testing and ideas, thank you for that. But one day we will deactivate your forum account if you will continue
    posting your throughs this way.

John
    you may consider and do what you want. there is nothing i can do, except pointing out that certain things do not work as they should (even if you like it or not). as far as i am concerned, regarding the initial thread, i pointed out that the feature is incomplete and the logic is wrong. as alwais, you should put yourself in the shues of a visitator who want's to find a specific item using this addon and he wants to get results based on that. not on countless items that he doesn't wish for.

Viktor pushed the ideea further by showing gummtree and i replied with another example, but, i never created this thread requesting that header feature.

I would prefer fewer addons but perfect as functionality, and what i and Wade reported is not a garbage. It is the basic functionality that the addon should have - (sorry if you do not see it as a issue).

ps John, i am aware that you didn't like at all what i said regarding the addons but unfortunaly for me (since you will most likely ban me), exactly that i belive. here is another great addon, again not working after so much time...

filter.jpg

http://general.demoflynax.com/listin...ing-and-shoes/

as you can see in image, we have price filter from 0-20$ when in fact we have listings with 34, 470, 300, 70$ and so on. in adition, next to "Apply filter" we have (1), instead of the real no. of listings. What's even more funny is the fact that i had a ticket created a few months back and Mike (if i recall well) was able to fix it. So is nice for me that i have a working solution
    i can push it even further. in that link we see in condition + available + country filter (9) as no. of listings, wich coresponds to the actual no. of listings on both pages. But, how come in the new category block (from same page) we have 3+2+4+1? That makes 10, not 9 (as far as my mathematic goes).
    Last edited by Petrache Nicolae; April 28, 2014 at 08:00 PM.

Hello Petrache,

you may consider and do what you want. there is nothing i can do, except pointing out that certain things do not work as they should (even if you like it or not)
    If all classifieds will have same things (like you want) what unique will be in each? Who said which things should be and what not? We created many many things like we seeing it and we are adding new and new things. Some features we are creating and some things we create from clients requests, and you can suggest us what do you want new and we will consider all your request and the most appropriate things we will create. We interested in new powerfull things if it really needs for our users.

PS. Petrache I have checked your link today morning and I see correct price range:

Firefox_Screenshot_2014-04-29T03-49-25.444Z.jpg
    Last edited by Viktor; April 29, 2014 at 03:50 AM.
    Viktor,
    Flynax technical department,
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrache Nicolae View Post
    you may consider and do what you want.
    ok, I hope we can keep cooperating in a calm manner.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    ok, I hope we can keep cooperating in a calm manner.

John
    Yes John. Since none of you do not see the issue reported as a issue, there is nothing more to argue. I will simply uninstall this addon since it doesn't help. What Viktor doesn't understand is that i am not against inovation. I am against creating inferior features compared to existing solutions already used by big names in domain. We should say to our users: "Hey, we have the same feature...but is not working as good as x/y". This will definetly earn some clients. Bottom line here is the fact that we should try to fight existing big companies with inferior weapons. We will succeed for sure.

PS. Petrache I have checked your link today morning and I see correct price range:
    That is why i posted the image from your demo. It is not ok to show wrong results not even for 5 minutes. In your demo all is reset after 60 min via database. So my opinion is that you should find the real bug wich creates this distorsion and make a fix so that it never happens.

Thank you both.

my suggestion is for adding the neatly done location field (country, state, city with longitude-latitude) to each listing.
    searching based on distance will be perfect and easy if we have the exact location..

Quote Originally Posted by Anand Giri View Post
    my suggestion is for adding the neatly done location field (country, state, city with longitude-latitude) to each listing.
    searching based on distance will be perfect and easy if we have the exact location..

please read carefull the initial thread. what you are sugesting is not helping (i already have that). i reported that is wrong to get as results for any radius search 10-1000 listings starting from cars, boats and ending to food or pets, when i have searched for a bike, inside the bikes category. In other words, the search must resume to the category first and after the radius.

Hi Guys

I understand the script can’t make everyone happy, however I did send a request to Flynax team to adjust the search and bind it to the distance, and just like Petrache mentioned, if you're searching for a specific item (e.g. chair) with certain distance (e.g. 10km) you should get all chairs(only) within 10km radius, that said, I’ve also requested to add this function to the header of home page (like gumtree)

Because this is a request to change an existing plugin, Flynax has quoted me on this, and i think it's a reasonable amount. If you're interested please let me know so I can send you the details and perhaps split the cost.

Viktor- you did mentioned “create a ticket and we will solve it and may be it will be free”
    I was wondering if there's a better way to approach this and have it implemented and accessible by others too, also if i upgrade to a major version will i lose this change and have to request it again? please advise.

Thanks
    Wade
    Last edited by Wade H; April 30, 2014 at 03:19 AM.

Hello Wade,

On gumtree site search by distance using like default functional or may be customize additional, and we will not create same like on gumtree because it will be plagiarism. In next version of the plugin we will change something but of course it will not like on gumtree. Who want same like on gumtree you can create a ticket and we will quote it because it will be like customization.
    Viktor,
    Flynax technical department,
    Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Hello All,

I want to clarify something. I said:

for this text:

But if you want it like on site: http://www.gumtree.com.au it will not free because needs many changes and take many times.
    Thanks for understanding.
    Hi Viktor,

Obviously, we don't want things like gumtree, we only want the search by distance plugin to have the listing type sorting option. As Nicolae pointed out in his 1st post.

When a user is searching for something, he wants to find results for a specific product. Becouse that is what he is looking for. Like a car. He doesn't want to get 1000-10.000 ads from paper, pencils to crane or houses when all he wants is just a car.
    Let me clarify this idea again. Say he input his zipcode in search by distance box, and the result shows all of the listings available in the area "regardless of the listing type", this is very messy, don't you agree. Say we have listing types as follow: House, Job, Car, and Computer. The user should be able to click on the listing type that he's looking for. Say he wants to find a new computer, he should be able to do so before clicking the search button.

Solution for this is we need to implement a listing type tab, similar to tabs on quicksearch box. So that he can click on the computer tab, then input the zipcode, radius, and click search. I hope this is clear enough.
    Thank you

+ Reply to Thread