+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Version 5 feature requests.

I would like to see in version 5 a proper image system that creates, from the uploaded image, different sizes. 100% true as set up in admin area.

Right now, the script resize the image into 2 sizes 640x480px and 190x131px - as you can see in you demo.
    This is wrong because you use the 640x480px and show it in listing details page as main image but at 298x278x and the 190x131px you use it for grid/list view mode (with a actual size of 188x128px) and in image gallery thumbnails where is shown actualy as 58x58px. So in no area you use the real images.Instead you shrink them which blurs out the images and in addition, we serve bigger images that are not used, making the pages to load slower.

Look at the systems implemented in ilance, opencart, magento and other scripts and you will see that they use a original big image just for 100% view of the image in gallery and in addition they create 3-4 types of smaller images that corespond 100% to the image sizes used in areas like grid/list, main image, thumbnails image and so on.

Another thing that i would like to see is the same thing we see in flatty themes in search bar. More precise, show the name of each field inside the text/input boxes, text/hint that hides the moment you start typing. That would make a much cleaner page.

Hello Petrache Nicolae,

We will think about changes in image uploader. At the moment we discuss changes for dealers photo upload and crop which might become a very useful thing.

About dimensions - you can set any sizes for your images and system will resize images to that. The problem is that users upload different images which are not necessarily have big size and quality and this may cause problems with thumbnails on the website.

Just to add to this an image rotate option would be good
    New Site: CameraSpecs https://bit.ly/3G4uYA6

Old Site: MotorAdsUk

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Hello Petrache Nicolae,

We will think about changes in image uploader. At the moment we discuss changes for dealers photo upload and crop which might become a very useful thing.

About dimensions - you can set any sizes for your images and system will resize images to that. The problem is that users upload different images which are not necessarily have big size and quality and this may cause problems with thumbnails on the website.
    About dimensions, you missed the whole idea even if i try to explain it as best as i can. Please check yourself what system is used by the most important players in the world regarding this and will talk again after. This system is used by many years in magento and others - check http://go.magento.com/support/kb/ent...atalog-images/

Or, do some math yourself. Let's say that i have set up the website to allow images of 3000x2000px (wich is around 4mb each), and i allow 10 images per listing. That will mean that for a single listing the listing details page will load 40 mb to show 10 images at 3000x2000px shrinken artificial into 298x278px (which is the main image size) when it should have 10 resized images at 298x278px wich would take less than 1 mb? Multiply those scores by 1000 ads or 10.000 ads which is quite a small number for a classifieds website and maybe you will understand now the problem. Right now your script waste huge traffic and server resources (cpu, ram, space) because this simple flow.

You complain about "users upload different images which are not necessarily have big size and quality and this may cause problems with thumbnails on the website"
    Exactly how is this a problem? I doubt that any user will bother to load a image smaller than 298x278px which is the main image size. And even if that will happen, show the small image at 100%(it's original size), in the middle of the white image container. Image resize up or down must not take place because it blures out the images.

To me, a classified script should behave the same way a online show behaves because both have something important in common. A huge number of listings. So you can easy compare your script to any major ecommerce script like magento, opencart, prestashop and other to see what is used and why is used.
    Last edited by Petrache Nicolae; October 22, 2014 at 07:37 AM.

Another request
    - short url for listing. www.domain.com/listingname Most of the successful classified sites have this kind of system Imagine i have 3 subcategories for one category so the listing will look like domain.com/listing-type/category/subcategory1/subcategory2/subcategory3/listing-name Surely this will not be good for SEO

Quote Originally Posted by Petrache Nicolae View Post
    Or, do some math yourself. Let's say that i have set up the website to allow images of 3000x2000px (wich is around 4mb each), and i allow 10 images per listing. That will mean that for a single listing the listing details page will load 40 mb to show 10 images at 3000x2000px shrinken artificial into 298x278px (which is the main image size) when it should have 10 resized images at 298x278px wich would take less than 1 mb? Multiply those scores by 1000 ads or 10.000 ads which is quite a small number for a classifieds website and maybe you will understand now the problem. Right now your script waste huge traffic and server resources (cpu, ram, space) because this simple flow.
    Well, actually at the moment we dont keep original images if there is no 'crop by user' function enabled. When you upload a picture the system resizes it to dimensions you've set in Admin Panel.
    In version 4.4 we will be always keeping an original image cause the system needs it for watermark and dimensions changes. If the picture is too big it will be resized x2 so if the image should be 640*480 but user uploads 2000*3000 picture the system will resize it to 1280*860px.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
    Just to add to this an image rotate option would be good
    This is actually good idea. I'll add it into the list to discuss

Valerie, you should not impose again limits via script limitations like you say that you will do. All that we need is to have a modern system like the ones used these days in the world and allow us the flexibility to chose any image settings combinations for main image, thumbnails, grid/list mode or 100% view in gallery mode. Some may be interested in small images, others may want to have images as big as possible to display the details of the articles. If you are willing to lose this faulty system that we have now, please make it properly, without any limitations. Thanks

If user decide (and website is set up like this) to upload a 10mb image, let it do so, keep it as original and from that source image, have the script generating smaller versions coresponding to the settings that we specify in admin area for each area where image will be use. That huge image should be called only if the user request it via 100% in image gallery, if not, serve the smaller versions to reduce space, ram and cpu of server
    Last edited by Petrache Nicolae; October 22, 2014 at 01:35 PM.

One of the major issues that flynax script has is the search function which is unreliable after several years. I have quite a long ticket regarding the bugs that the search has, dating from version 3, and now, when we are at 4.3 and days away from a new version, the most important feature of any classified script (the search) is still a joke. And i doubt that in these years i am the only one who has reported the bugs from the search. I may be lock out of the forum (again) but i can't resist to ask flynax developers in which script/website they have see the search function performing so poor.
    Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 22.54.26.jpg

That is a simple test to demonstrate. I am combining 1 complete word with the first letter of another word and your script proudly produces 1 valid result. Our competition will smile to such mistake and our users would think that we are some morons who want to spend their time for nothing...

Flynax team, please put on hold any projects that you may have, gather all developers and make a normal search that generates only the proper results depending on the 3 options that you offer. This is the top priority which shoulded been fixed years ago.

another example - so that you do not say that is a singular case

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 23.09.39.jpg

i searched for "udd" and again the search fails by showing a listing. It fails because it has extracted "udd" from a complete word "buddha". I assume that the script makes new rules by creating a word from a real word since the search option is "any words in any order"

Play a little with the search option and you will see how "reliable" is this major feature.

Now remains to see if flynax will shut me down, will ignore what i demonstrated or will actually solve the issues.
    Last edited by Petrache Nicolae; October 22, 2014 at 08:24 PM.

If user decide (and website is set up like this) to upload a 10mb image, let it do so, keep it as original and from that source image, have the script generating smaller versions coresponding to the settings that we specify in admin area for each area where image will be use. That huge image should be called only if the user request it via 100% in image gallery, if not, serve the smaller versions to reduce space, ram and cpu of server
    This is what should be in the new version. It will be keeping an original image to create different dimensions, watermarks and etc.
    For now with enabled 'Cropping by users' when someone uploads the image 2000*3000 it will be croped to 1280*853 and from 5Mb it resizes to 905kb.

One of the major issues that flynax script has is the search function which is unreliable after several years.
    I agree with this, search works not as user expects it. We should fix it.

+ Reply to Thread