PDA

View Full Version : New Account says Active Before Email Verification

Akram Elsayed
May 25, 2010, 07:00 AM
Well I should have knocked on wood when I said I haven't had anymore technical issues :lol:

I have my system set up to require email verification before new account is officially live. However, today no emails were sent after making new signups. I checked spam folders and nothing. This email address was sent to in the past (I'm allowing duplicate emails right now for testing purposes). I tried to activate the accounts in the admin, but noticed they already say their "active". But you can't log in. Says your need to validate via email first.

Any idea why new account emails would stop and what to look for? Also, why do they show as active? If a user was to contact me and say they never received the email, how would I activate them since it doesn't say it's not approved yet? I'm guessing there's no "send an email again" option? Guess there doesn't need to be if I could just activate myself.

Thanks! :D

lassu
May 25, 2010, 09:45 PM
Did you get this issue fixed? I have the same problem.

Akram Elsayed
May 28, 2010, 08:30 PM
No not resolved yet. I'm waiting for a reply in this thread. I use the forum for all support so it will definitely be updated at some point. ;)

Akram Elsayed
June 4, 2010, 09:47 PM
I think all the emails finally came in. They did go into my spam folder, but they were not there originally. Showed up days later, but think that's my hosting's issue I think. But this ticket is more about the account being active in admin yet it's not active until they click link in email. And, that there is no way to resend email to users. If email lost, account is lost and no way to activate. Still waiting for a reply!

Akram Elsayed
June 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
lassu - did you get yours fixed? I haven't heard back! :(

John
June 20, 2010, 08:45 AM
Hi there,
Let me try to sort this thread issues, at first regarding email sending.
Outgoing e-mails can be stored in SPAM folder of recipient or can be not delivered in case:
- if your Flynax Admin Panel mail settings (main e-mail address) does not matches your domain name. For example:
mymail@gmail.com - is your e-mail
domain.com - is your domain
so as can you see, the email domain is gmail.com and your domain is domain.com, which are not the same.
- mail() php function disabled on your server

Also I would like to offer you to use SMTP settings, mailing mode can be switched in Admin Panel >> Configurations >> E-mail, but you should be sure that the SMTP connection is allowed on your server as well.

No about account registration, there are two main admin panel settings for Account registration:
- "Account confirmation via email" - user should confirm own account through e-mail, not depending of account status. I mean account owner should confirm own account in any way.
- "Account activation by Administrator" - account owner won't be able to log in the front-end until account not activated by Administrator.
These two settings does bot depends of each other.

I hope my explanation was enough clear :)
Thanks

Akram Elsayed
June 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
Hey John -

I do use the same domain name for my email address. But I'm confirming with my host about SMTP. But I did have some of them show up later in my spam folder so not sure there is any problem except delayed. But I'll let you know if I see a future problem.

Regarding the second issue, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Yes, I know the user should activate via the email. But if someone contacts me saying they did not receive the email, I have not found the area your speaking about ("Account activation by Administrator") that allows the admin to activate it. The only place I see is Admin > Accounts > New Accounts > Column that says Active. I thought that column should be inactive until either I change to active or the user activates by the link in the email? Currently it defaults to active in the column yet it's not really active.

Thanks! :D

John
June 27, 2010, 09:00 AM
Hello Christina,
I have fixed account activation issue for you, please test it and let me know about results. Thanks

John

Akram Elsayed
June 29, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hi John -

Overall, functionality fixed! I registered, did not activate via email, logged in admin, the new account still said "Active" as default in that column. But, if I clicked on it and selected the same "Active" status and clicked away, it does activate the new account. But I can't tell inactive ones if it defaults on active?!?

Thanks! :)

John
November 2, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hello Cristina,

if I clicked on it and selected the same "Active" status and clicked away, it does activate the new account. But I can't tell inactive ones if it defaults on active?!?
Do you mean that new account already has 'active' status (activate by administrator, option disabled), and you are trying to activate it again?
Could you explain this issue one more time please.

Thanks
John

Akram Elsayed
November 21, 2010, 05:53 AM
My current settings....

"Account confirmation via email" - Enabled
"Account activation by Administrator" - Disabled

Now new user makes an account....but say email was never delivered and they contact me stating they can't activate the account because they didn't get the email. So since there is no option to resend the email, I must activate it myself for them. If I got to unverified accounts, I see the listing but it has the default setting of saying "active", yet it's not really active because the user never clicked on the link in the email. And, I tried to log in but was denied.

Now, if I click on the word "Active" and then select "Active" again, and click off the account, the setting has officially "really" changed to active and the user can now log in.

Hope that clears it up some John. Thanks!

John
February 25, 2011, 05:59 AM
Hello Christina,
I have registered new account and received a confirmation letter to specified e-mail address. Well it works, but probably your customer receive emails from your website to spam folder. I suggest that you create new account on gmail and use it for new account registration on your website. You will see if the confirmation letter goes to spam folder.

Also take a look at this thread: SPAM prevention and instructions for email configuration (http://support.flynax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=181)

John

Akram Elsayed
March 22, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sorry John, that is not the issue....I'm not talking about them always not getting the email because saying they are not being sent...

1) I'm saying what if the customer says they didn't receive the email? They have no way to resend it.

2) And, most importantly, if I go to "unverified account", the account says "active" yet it's not active. If I click on active again and save, it then becomes active. Basically, defaults to the word "active" yet it's not.

John
April 18, 2011, 06:26 AM
hello there,

1) I'm saying what if the customer says they didn't receive the email? They have no way to resend it.

Sorry, you confused me. Could you explain this problem step by step?

2) And, most importantly, if I go to "unverified account", the account says "active" yet it's not active. If I click on active again and save, it then becomes active. Basically, defaults to the word "active" yet it's not.
Ok, I got you. I am going to add one more status for accounts, it will be pending.
Well while user have not conform own registration status will stay as Pending.
I will implement new status for your website as soon as it back online.

John

John
April 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hello Christina,
The point #2 is done, please test it from your side.

John

Akram Elsayed
May 3, 2011, 07:01 AM
Ok, that worked...I could finally activate it in admin...however, how do you get it to query? What I mean is on the left under Accounts there is a selection for "unverified accounts". Yet the "pending" do not show in it. And, when you sort by Status from the top, you have 4 options, All, New, Active, and Unverified. When you set to unverified they still doesn't show...I the only way to find them is by selecting "All" which could get messy when you have a lot of new users....I then changed a pending to unverified and received an email saying account deactivated.

1) Shouldn't pending show in unverified sorts from the left? Maybe even be called Pending Accounts (I can rename myself, but the functionality needs to be changed.
2) Then shouldn't "unverified" in status actually be "deactivate"? Which again, I can rename so not an issue, but you would have to add "pending" in status sorts as well.

Any chance, you will be adding a feature to allow the user to resend the activation email if they didn't receive so they don't have to contact us? Probably pretty easy, just asking for username and email...then send again...at least consider for future version :D

John
May 9, 2011, 06:47 AM
Hello Christina,
I have added "Pending" option to sorting dropdown and to left menu.
Please rename "Unverified" back to "approved" or to "inactive" because the system uses "approved" status for inactive items.

About "resend the activation email" option, we will think about it for new version of the Flynax. Thanks.

John

Akram Elsayed
May 12, 2011, 09:14 AM
Looks like it all works great now....and I renamed to inactive like you suggested. Thanks John!!! :D