PDA

View Full Version : Does flynax script phone home for script authorisation?

Graham Jupp
February 24, 2020, 03:37 AM
I have a few questions regarding whether or not the flynax script phones home to authorise the script for use on a server?

If so, does this happen only when installing or is it happening every time the site is accessed by a user?

I ask this as I notice that the flynax website and also the flynax forum can sometimes be slow to access, at least from here in Australia. I'm wondering if it affects the load speed of user's sites if the security mechanism is also making requests from the same server that Flynax uses for it's sites and the script is forced to wait for a slow reply?

I also noticed that sometimes my site will not load at all on the first try and needs a refresh to try again, it will then load ok. Wondering if this is related to the security or another issue on my own server.

If it is phoning home for authorisation each and every time, do you have a redundant backup server for authorisation purposes if the first server fails?

Lastly, in the event that Flynax were to cease operation at some point in the future, what would be the operational situation for Flynax customers? Would scripts fail to install? Would they fail to continue working? Have you considered how to enable existing sites to continue functioning or how reinstalls will be permitted in this particular circumstance?

Naturally I respect that you have every right to protect your script and prevent piracy and if you would prefer to respond via PM then that's fine too. :)

Graham Jupp
February 25, 2020, 10:09 PM
Not sure if anyone has read this one yet so giving it a bump.

Pete Young
February 26, 2020, 12:08 AM
A good question I seem to always have delays and never thought of this? surely if there is a checker it would not be every time someone goes to the site but more of a beacon signal?

kiowa
February 26, 2020, 03:17 AM
Id say theres probably some hidden code that needs to be removed to stop checking for validation in the event that flynax seizes to exist. Who knows. But i can tell you one thing, do yourself a favour add your plugin costs plus the script cost and get a total. Now multiply that by a hundred and that is what you will pay to a development house for a similar setup and mobile app if not more. So it does not bother me if they phone home.

Graham Jupp
February 26, 2020, 04:45 AM
Kiowa,

Yeah the script is a great price considering what we are getting, there is no doubt about that. I also appreciate that Flynax wants to stop their script being pirated.

My concern is not that the script may be phoning home for a security check, but that it may possibly impact on site speed or even prevent site from loading sometimes. The other concern is with regards to what were to happen to our sites in the event the validation server were ever to cease to operate or even go offline for an extended period of time.

I'd really appreciate if flynax staff can clarify.

kiowa
February 26, 2020, 04:49 AM
I see your point. Do you mean that it is querying stuff from another server everytime someone connects to a flynax site?

Graham Jupp
February 26, 2020, 05:06 AM
Kiowa, that's the question I'm asking yes. I have no idea if it is actually happening or not but might explain some apparent slowdowns and unsuccessful site loads on my own site if that is the case.

Graham Jupp
February 27, 2020, 12:47 AM
I tried accessing my site with Firefox developer edition and checking network connections as it loaded and there didn't appear to be any phoning home occurring with a test on a few pages of my site, I couldn't see any connection to external servers other than for Google fonts and mapping.

So that probably partly provides an answer to my question.

Pete Young
March 6, 2020, 04:06 AM
Can we get confirmation on this from flynax please ?

My site site runs like a bucket of bricks and i need to find out why it just has huge delays in loading up pages,

establishing secure connection. my site sits for ages with this displaying goes no where?

also started getting heaps of errors popping up on pages ? not sure if these are related but not sure why these are happening?

13 Feb 10:30:14 | 63 repeats | DEBUG: Could not instantiate mail function. on line# 177 (file: /includes/classes/rlMail.class.php)
22 Feb 08:42:01 | 10 repeats | DEBUG: Returned from editArrangeField(), no key or valies specified on line# 1285 (file: /includes/classes/rlListingTypes.class.php)
28 Feb 01:30:55 | 242 repeats | DEBUG: Unable to move_uploaded_file on line# 415 (file: /includes/classes/rlActions.class.php)

Skorpion
March 21, 2020, 08:09 PM
Why no one from Flynax is giving a clear reply on this?

Graham Jupp
March 22, 2020, 05:21 AM
I haven't had a reply by PM either so perhaps they are not willing to answer this one, or else they haven't noticed the post.

Skorpion
March 22, 2020, 08:57 AM
I haven't had a reply by PM either so perhaps they are not willing to answer this one, or else they haven't noticed the post.
Let's see next days...

Graham Jupp
March 22, 2020, 09:21 PM
I think it's common for companies to not discuss security aspects of their products, however if a Flynax rep is reading this please ensure that any aspects of your software security that may lead to degradation of customer websites are properly investigated to ensure there are no bottlenecks caused.

That being said, rather than complete silence, it's probably good practise to simply respond with "We do not discuss security aspects of our products with customers" because at least then we know the thread has been read by staff.

Thanks Flynax, appreciate this may be sensitive for you.

Pete Young
March 22, 2020, 09:52 PM
well I would like to know because my site is still running like a bag of crap? I dont need details I just need it fixed

Rudi
March 23, 2020, 05:14 AM
Hello,

it requires detailed investigation what delays your site,

as the most part of our customers don't experience the same problem

Pete Young
March 23, 2020, 10:08 PM
Hello,
it requires detailed investigation what delays your site,
as the most part of our customers don't experience the same problem

Just some of the problems I face, I have had my hosting go over everything they can and it still times out, I have the fastest internet options available to me dialled in as well but still these problems. sometimes I can nearly make a cup of tea while I wait for the site to do anything, it can seem that slow at times. not sure what can be done or what the problem is. For now it seems to be running better but then the next day it times out again.

+

This site can’t be reached
mysite.com took too long to respond.
Try:
• Checking the connection
• Checking the proxy and the firewall
• Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_TIMED_OUT

+

Waiting for mysite.com

+

A system error has occurred; please see the error log or contact Flynax helpdesk.

+

establishing a secure connection.

+

Rudi
March 24, 2020, 05:08 AM
Probably, it can be caused by response delays on your server,

anyway, we need to debug it to understand

for that you should buy support

Pete Young
March 24, 2020, 01:58 PM
Probably, it can be caused by response delays on your server,

anyway, we need to debug it to understand

for that you should buy support

? you want me to pay to fix bugs in flynax script ? or did i read that wrongly ?

Rudi
March 25, 2020, 04:18 AM
if you're sure that this is a Flynax bug that delays your site

create a ticket and give some details of the reason (file and function) and we'll try to fix it

Pete Young
March 25, 2020, 04:56 AM
Rudi, I can only report the problems as seen above in my earlier post, other than that I would have no idea about what file and function and or any reasoning other than a site that continuously fails and times out.

I can also say after all of these years never seen this problem before with flynax, so who knows why it happening. Your question is a bit like a mechanic asking a motorist if you can tell me where the engine is broken I will fix it?

As I can not do that, I guess there is nothing one can do. Thanks anyway.

Hope all are safe and well in these times as I am sure everybody has more important things to worry about.

Cheers.