PDA

View Full Version : Request about the search function

Morgan Bohman
August 3, 2012, 08:11 AM
On the home page, in the teaser area, there's a search function which misleads you a lot because the default value is either New or Used. If you also add the listings type in that search area, you can have the radio buttons not clicked, just empty. If you now press search, you will only get the listings which are New or Used in the listings, not Rents or Services nor any other types.

The radio buttons for listings types can only be set on at the time, not a combination of them or all of them.

For me it should be logical to see all your listings when you press that search button, no matter if they are used or new, for sale or rent or anything else, until you make the choice to tick a box to make a selection of your search.

So initially when you reach home page, pressing the search should list all listings there is. As it today, you get only the New or Used which is the condition for the listing and then you miss what's been listed for the other condition.

Any comments? Is this something you can fix?

Home page: Press search, no conditions and no types, unconditional -----> Result: All listings in the database will show

Home page: Check conditions or selections -----> Result: All listings that belongs to the selections made will be showed.

//Morgan

Chris Brown
August 3, 2012, 08:19 AM
Edit: Did type a reply but Ignore this as i think i miss understood what you were getting at :d

Morgan Bohman
August 3, 2012, 08:57 AM
haha no problems Chris

Chris Brown
August 3, 2012, 09:13 AM
Lol i will post this anyway, may help a little, currently you have 'new' and 'used' in the tabs on homepage search. These are 2 different search forms i believe so why not try to create just one form, this will eliminate the results being split up into 'new' and 'used'

I think to do this you go to admin-listing types- choose to edit the type- scroll to near the bottom in 'settings' and uncheck the 'search form'

That should create just one search form on homepage for all listings. Please NOTE: if you try this and then decide to revert back you will have to set up your search forms again for 'new' and 'used' tabs again

Morgan Bohman
August 3, 2012, 02:23 PM
Well thought about that, but that wont let me tick a combination or all of the listing types. It would have been nice if the conditions where set 0 from the beginning or add a button with All (Wonder if that is doable in the search form, tab 3 defined?)

Chris Brown
August 3, 2012, 02:34 PM
Well thought about that, but that wont let me tick a combination or all of the listing types. It would have been nice if the conditions where set 0 from the beginning or add a button with All (Wonder if that is doable in the search form, tab 3 defined?)

I am sure one of the Flynax team can do a custom mod to work like that

think the radio buttons may need to be changed to checkbox

rosegarden
August 4, 2012, 02:49 AM
I use radio button initially and give up as there is no way to reset it after you chose it.

So i decide to change it either checkbox or drop down after that.

Check box is challenging if you many fields, reason being the refine search sidebox is small

I highly recommend adding a reset button like the following especially if you have many search fields

http://www.flynax.com/forum/showthread.php?529-How-to-create-a-clear-button-using-Jquery-for-refine-search

Morgan Bohman
August 4, 2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks Desmond, I was looking into that with great interest. By the way Desmond, I would be glad to see how your page looks like, any link to share?

Mike
August 8, 2012, 07:03 AM
For the search in all listing types. Chris is right we can do this small change in code and it will search in all listing types.
Please submit a ticket with ftp login details and list please issues/requests you have.

p.s. its common problem when initially you have new/used search forms and then delete one of form and leave one. It looks like it will search for all listings but it searches only for new or used :). You have to create just one which will search for all listings without arrange field feature.

But if you want to search for all listing types its anyway require changes to the code as you cant create search forms without relation to listing type from admin panel.