PDA

View Full Version : Make > Model > Year > Version

Ed
February 15, 2018, 11:42 PM
Hello Everybody,

I wonder if there is a possibility that the script works within the Automotive Logic?

NOTE: It is only when you will add a car listing.

Consists of four dependent fields, Make -> Model -> Year -> Version.

Simulation:

MAKE: Chevrolet
MODEL: Cobalt
YEAR: 2012
VERSION: 1.4 SFI LTZ 8V

Is anyone going to ask but why?
Answer: Why the Cobalt Model exists in the year range between 2012 until 2017

MAKE: Chevrolet
MODEL: Cobalt
YEAR: 2017
VERSION: 1.8 MPFI ELITE 8V

This would make the form add a faster 10x listing to the user, because the "Year" factor will do a version filtering.

Thank You

Rudi
February 16, 2018, 02:12 PM
Hello Ed,

With default script tools you can achieve that using Multi-field plugin where you should build sub-levels for each of your make (your make > model > year > version)

or you can arrange your listing categories in this way and when user go to add a listing he should select categories in this order on Categories step

Ed
February 17, 2018, 10:04 PM
Hello Rudi,

Okay?

I have done this before and thought it was not worth it, because the site loses all navigation "BreadCrumb" and also loses all SEO optimization. Another disadvantage is that the data "Years" will be extremely duplicated, and can not be reused.

Do you know if there is a possibility of doing it another way? even if need a customization.

Thank you for your attention and help!

Ed

Rudi
February 19, 2018, 04:47 AM
As I already mentioned you can arrange your listing categories in this way (Make > Model > Year > Version) so when user goes to add a listing he should select categories in this order on Categories step
and it will also be good for seo

otherwise, create a ticket for customization

Ed
February 19, 2018, 07:48 AM
Hello Rudi! Okay?

It happens the same problem, the data will be extremely duplicated, the "Years" I say.

My idea is to do as in the "Listing Plans", it would have a column or table with the ID "Year" or "Year_id", so I can assign for example:
Year 2017 -> Category A, Category B, Category C, etc ... is something like this. Maybe there is another way to do this.

Clarifying better, the Years will be registered only once, as if it were Plans, but instead of "Plans" would be "Years", so I would have registered every year without duplicity.

Practically all sites here in my country are doing this so that the user can add a listing quickly, and with very small Dropdowns.

The essence is this:

1 - The system asks the user: What is the Make of your car?
The user responds: it's Chevrolet

2 - The system asks the user: What is the Model of your car?
The user responds: it's Cobalt

3 - The system asks the user: What is the Year of your car?
The user responds: it's 2015

Lastly...

4 - The system will load the "Versions" of Cobalt that existed in (2015) for the user to choose an option:

1.4 Mpfi LS 8V
1.4 Mpfi LT 8V
1.4 Mpfi LTZ 8V
1.8 Mpfi Graphite 8V
1.8 Mpfi LT 8V
1.8 Mpfi LTZ 8V

If the user responds (2014) the system will load the versions that existed in 2014:

1.4 Mpfi LS 8V
1.4 Sfi LS 8V
1.4 Sfi LTZ 8V
1.4 Sfi LT 8V

Thankyou

Pete Young
February 19, 2018, 11:05 AM
Ed multi listing will do that no problems, it may take some to set up, but that can be done.

Bahram Soltanirad
February 19, 2018, 12:10 PM
Ed multi listing will do that no problems, it may take some to set up, but that can be done.

Hello Pete, do you mean multi field plugin?

It happens the same problem, the data will be extremely duplicated, the "Years" I say.

Hello Ed, Do not care about duplicated years, if you really want this method.

Practically all sites here in my country are doing this so that the user can add a listing quickly, and with very small Dropdowns.

Then surely, they use rudi's solution, and they are not care about duplication ;)

The problem of this way is : duplication as you said, and after a few years you do not need to 2000 or 2001 or.. because there is no car for these years.

I looked at kijiji.ca and it used totally the same as flynax method with a little differences.

Ed
February 19, 2018, 06:15 PM
Hello, Pete and Bahram!

I would like to thank the suggested tips, Thanks!

I'll talk to the Flynax team a bit to see what they say.

We have to be aware of the other ad sites because they are competing, if the competitor offers more facilities when you add a listing, we are at a disadvantage.

Who publishes a listing does not want to waste a lot of time filling out giant forms, it seems like a joke, but many sites already give the completed advertisement to the user, for example: Drive Train, Body Style, Engine Cylinders, Etc ... all this is possible, but it depends on the Year and Version that it selects.

Let's talk more about it, evolving is good for everyone. :)

Strong hug!

Ed

Pete Young
February 19, 2018, 08:19 PM
Hello Pete, do you mean multi field plugin?. yes sorry, late night typing, and that then can also be tied into and added to the seo.

Pete