PDA

View Full Version : Categories by State

Shawn Hall
February 27, 2012, 02:25 AM
I have a bit of a dilemma here...I'm working on building my classifieds site and I want a "home page" for each state that shows all the subcategories under that state. I'd like to promote the site by state using a shortened URL - for instance www.mysite.com/mi would show all the categories/subcategories and listings for Michigan. I know this is possible by entering the state as the parent category, then adding all the subcategories with different keys under each state. But I have a total of 85 subcategories (at least) that would need to go under each state! Inputting 4,250 subcategories total would take quite some time(although I'm sure there is a way I could do an import directly into the database as well). Is there a way to do this using a search string? Right now when you do a search by state it will just show ALL the listings grouped together in the results, I don't want that, I'd like to see all the categories for each state selected instead.

Has anybody else done anything like this? If so how did you accomplish this?

Thanks!

Shawn Hall
February 27, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hmm, I may have posted too soon...

I think I just figured out how I can do this using content boxes rather than entering 4,000+ categories. Looks like I'll have to make a PHP content box for each state. Anybody have any experience with the Field-bound Boxes plugin? That looks like something I might be able to use to do this.